What Is Religion? Exploring Its Meaning in the Modern World

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Religion
In summary, religion can be defined as an institutionalized system of beliefs and practices for the purpose of worshiping a supernatural being or power. However, some people may also view their passions or hobbies as a form of religion. Religion remains a powerful motivating force and influence in human society, and for many individuals, their beliefs are deeply ingrained and resistant to change. Ultimately, everyone has their own personal definition of what religion means to them.
decibel
What is Religion??

in ur opinion, what do you think religion is in our world today?...

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess nothing haha

I think anything that someone is truly passionate about can become their 'religion'. I have a cousin who has made snowboarding his religion.

Dictionary.com supports this idea with the following definition:

A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

I'll paraphrase from Merriam-Webster (www.m-w.com) for my answer...

An institutionalized system of attitudes, beliefs/faiths, and practices for the service or worship of something/someone...usually a supernatural being/power.

The key aspect being...a system of beliefs for purposes of worship.

IMHO, a snowboard fanatic is one thing, but worshipping snowboarding is another.

As far as "what religion is in our world today"...it's one of the most powerful motivating forces and influences on human society. It remains big, even with science & technology simultaneously becoming another big force in society .

Last edited:
Originally posted by Phobos
I'll paraphrase from Merriam-Webster (www.m-w.com) for my answer...

An institutionalized system of attitudes, beliefs/faiths, and practices for the service or worship of something/someone...usually a supernatural being/power.

The key aspect being...a system of beliefs for purposes of worship.

IMHO, a snowboard fanatic is one thing, but worshipping snowboarding is another.

As far as "what religion is in our world today"...it's one of the most powerful motivating forces and influences on human society. It remains big, even with science & technology simultaneously becoming another big force in society .
Your site also mentions these as definitions of ‘religion’:

scrupulous conformity:CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

How many people do you know that you consider ‘religious’ in their chosen faith, would be willing to change that faith based on someone else’s arguments or faith? They ‘know’ that theirs is the ONLY way - to the exclusion of all else. This is what they've been taught or chosen to believe. Nothing will change their mind.

There ARE people who practice their whatever - snowboarding, gardening, politics, or even science in the very same way. The only thing that could stop them from believing as they do is death or complete incapacitation – in spite of whatever ‘evidence’ is laid on the table (they’re just not going to believe it!). In some cases, a true epiphany or personal experience will cause a change in their fanatic practice of said ‘religion’, but from what I’ve seen, that’s pretty rare.

Just as each individual has their own ‘religion’, each has his own definition OF that religion. And you’ll rarely find someone who will say “Yes. I AM a fanatic about (fill in the blank) and truly mean ‘fanatic’ – and I mean in the sense that many people (especially lately in the US) think that many Muslims are ‘fanatics’ about their religion to the point that they will exclude all else in favor of their practicing their ‘religion’ and/or what it teaches.

Also from your site, looking up ‘fanatic’:
marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>

So, I guess my point here is not so much 'What is religion', it's 'What IS 'religion'? I say, it's "Whatever you WANT it to be". (And you're NOT going to get me to change my mind! )

Originally posted by Tsunami
Your site also mentions these as definitions of ‘religion’:

scrupulous conformity:CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Not "my" site. :wink: Notice my variation on the definition emphasized worship & the supernatural.

How many people do you know that you consider ‘religious’ in their chosen faith, would be willing to change that faith based on someone else’s arguments or faith? They ‘know’ that theirs is the ONLY way - to the exclusion of all else. This is what they've been taught or chosen to believe. Nothing will change their mind.

Excellent observation. This will continually plague humans as some people will never see eye to eye. Different world views are tough to cross, but it has happened (as you later noted).

There ARE people who practice their whatever - snowboarding, gardening, politics, or even science in the very same way.

Agree, but I think "worship" takes it to a different level and is what separates a religion from really-being-into-something.

But this is just my definition. :wink:

1. What is the definition of religion?

Religion is a complex and multifaceted concept that is difficult to define in a single sentence. Generally, it refers to a set of beliefs, practices, and rituals that are based on a faith or higher power and provide a framework for understanding the meaning and purpose of life.

2. How does religion affect society?

Religion has a significant impact on society in various ways. It can shape cultural norms, values, and traditions, and influence political and social structures. It also provides a sense of community and belonging, and can be a source of comfort and guidance for individuals.

3. Is religion necessary for a moral and ethical society?

This is a highly debated question and there is no simple answer. Some argue that religion is essential for instilling moral and ethical values in individuals and maintaining social order. Others believe that morality can exist independent of religion and that a secular society can be just as ethical.

4. How has religion evolved over time?

Religion has evolved significantly throughout human history. From ancient polytheistic beliefs to modern monotheistic religions, the concept of religion has changed and adapted to the cultural, social, and technological developments of societies. It continues to evolve and transform in the modern world.

5. What role does religion play in individual identity?

Religion can play a significant role in shaping an individual's identity. It provides a sense of purpose, belonging, and community. It can also influence an individual's values, beliefs, and behaviors. However, the extent to which religion affects individual identity varies greatly depending on the person and their level of religious involvement.