How to Determine the Coefficients of a Cubic Function with Given Conditions?

In summary, to find the values of a, b, c, and d for the given cubic function, f(x)=ax^{3}+bx^{2}+cx+d, which satisfies the conditions of a relative maximum at (3,3), a relative minimum at (5,1), and an inflection point at (4,2), you will need to first find the explicit forms of the first and second derivatives of f. Then, plug in the given points into the derivatives to obtain a system of equations in four unknowns. Solving this system will give you the values of a, b, c, and d for the function.
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

Find a,b,c, and d such that the cubic f(x)=[tex]ax^{3}+bx^{2}+cx+d [/tex]satisfies the indicated conditions.

Relative maximum (3,3)
Relative minimum (5,1)
Inflection point (4,2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost as to how to do this :/.

Its a polynomial so f ' (x) must = 0 at x=3 and x=5 (can't not exist), and I also know that the derivative of f(x) will be a function of degree 2, which can have at most two roots. Thus the function must be of the form a(x-3)(x-5)=f ' (x), right?

I know that the second derivative is defined for all x (can't have negative exponents, they would become constants before that point). And that f '' (x)=0 at x=4...

I just can't see how to piece it all together. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work out the explicit form of the first and second derivatives of f. Then plug in x=3 and x=5 into the first derivative, which you said must be zero. Plug in x=4 into the second derivative, which again, you said must be zero. This will give you 3 equations in 3 unknowns, which you can solve.

[tex] f'(x)=3a(x-3)(x-5)\equiv 3ax^2 +2bx +c [/tex]

is a place to start.

1. What is the purpose of deriving the form of a function?

Deriving the form of a function allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a specific mathematical function. It also allows us to find the relationship between different variables in the function.

2. How do you derive the form of a function?

The process of deriving the form of a function involves using mathematical techniques, such as differentiation or integration, to manipulate the function and find its derivative or antiderivative.

3. What are the key steps in deriving the form of a function?

The key steps in deriving the form of a function include identifying the type of function, applying the appropriate mathematical technique, simplifying the function, and checking for any errors in the process.

4. Can you provide an example of deriving the form of a function?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2. To derive its form, we can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). Applying this rule, we get f'(x) = 2x. Therefore, the form of the function is f'(x) = 2x.

5. Why is it important to derive the form of a function?

Deriving the form of a function is important because it helps us solve complex mathematical problems, make predictions about the behavior of a function, and understand the underlying relationships between variables in a given function.