Can Excel be Used to Solve for 2-D Transient Finite Difference in Heat Transfer?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's assignment in a heat transfer class, where they are supposed to use Matlab to solve for a 2-D transient finite difference problem. The problem involves finding the temperature distribution of a sheet made of aluminum, with given material properties, after 0.5 seconds. The student is looking for help and is advised to consult a book on finite difference methods and to make an attempt at the problem themselves, rather than asking for code. Another student mentions a similar assignment in their class, where they were advised to use Excel.
semeer.s
I am curious to know if anyone has a program that will solve for 2-D Transient finite difference I have an assignment in a heat transfer class and I am supposed to use Matlab to solve for this. The governing equation (given in the attachement) is to solve using finite difference method using matlab.

In this problem we know the heat generated (Q) as 11×106W/m2.

The material using for this study is aluminum having following material properties

ρ = 2700 kg/m3,
k = 180 W/m-K,
c=896 J/kg-K.

In this study maximum time is allowed as for generated heat (Q) is 0.5 seconds.

My assignment is to find out the temperature distribution of the sheet at the end of 0.5 Seconds.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• I have a project in a heat transfer class and I am supposed to use Matlab to solve for this.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 201
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to go read a book on finite difference methods - and apply the formulae the book gives. I doubt you'll find anyone here willing to send you code as that's against the rules.

This is definitely homework and J77 is right. We will not provide answers. You need to provide some form of an attempt at the problem. This is a basic problem in pretty much all PDE texts from engineering.

I have an assignment in my heat and mass transfer class that is almost exactly like that. We were suggested to use excel though.

What is the Finite Difference Method?

The Finite Difference Method (FDM) is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It approximates the derivatives in the PDE using a set of discrete points, and then uses this approximation to solve the equation iteratively.

What are the advantages of using the Finite Difference Method?

Some advantages of using the Finite Difference Method include its simplicity and ease of implementation, its ability to handle complex geometries, and its flexibility in handling various boundary conditions. It also yields highly accurate results with a relatively small number of computational steps.

What are the limitations of the Finite Difference Method?

The Finite Difference Method is limited by the accuracy of the discretization, and may not accurately capture sharp gradients or complex behavior. It also requires a regular grid, which may be difficult to construct for certain geometries. Additionally, it may be computationally expensive for problems with high dimensions or large grid sizes.

How does the Finite Difference Method compare to other numerical methods?

The Finite Difference Method is often compared to other numerical methods such as the Finite Element Method and the Finite Volume Method. FDM is generally considered easier to implement and more efficient for problems with regular geometries, while other methods may be more suitable for handling irregular geometries or problems with complex behavior.

What are some common applications of the Finite Difference Method?

The Finite Difference Method has a wide range of applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and structural analysis. It is commonly used to solve problems involving diffusion, wave propagation, and other PDEs. FDM is also commonly used in computer simulations and modeling for engineering and scientific research.