Thread Torque Specs for 3/4-14 NPSM S.S. & Aluminum

In summary, a user named Eric asked for torque recommendations for a 3/4-14 NPSM thread for stainless steel and aluminum. Another user asked if it was a 3/4 NPT and suggested checking with user Q for assistance. Later, Eric clarified that it was a straight pipe thread and thanked the user for their help. He shared a link to a potential solution and discussed his plans to perform testing for a project at work.
wxrocks
Hi --

Does anyone have torque recommendations for a 3/4-14 NPSM thread for S.S. and Aluminum? Thanks! Eric

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is that a 3/4 NPT? I can't say that I am familiar with the NPSM call out. Perhaps Q has seen it before. I'll do some looking around.

EDIT: I just found what you're referring to. Straight pipe threads, not tapered. God bless Machinery's Handbook.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. This is a new thread for a project at work -- and I am going to be performing the testing to determine our final torque recommendation. I just wanted a starting point to have a figure to keep in mind while testing.

What is the recommended thread torque specification for 3/4-14 NPSM stainless steel?

The recommended thread torque specification for 3/4-14 NPSM stainless steel is 125-150 ft-lbs.

What is the recommended thread torque specification for 3/4-14 NPSM aluminum?

The recommended thread torque specification for 3/4-14 NPSM aluminum is 50-75 ft-lbs.

Why is there a difference in thread torque specifications between stainless steel and aluminum?

The difference in thread torque specifications between stainless steel and aluminum is due to the difference in strength and hardness of the materials. Stainless steel is a stronger and harder material compared to aluminum, therefore a higher torque is required to achieve the same level of tightness.

What happens if the recommended thread torque is not followed?

If the recommended thread torque is not followed, it can result in a loose or insecure connection, which can lead to leaks or failure of the threaded joint. It can also cause damage to the threads and compromise the integrity of the part.

Are there any other factors to consider when using these thread torque specifications?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when using these thread torque specifications, such as the condition of the threads, lubrication, and the use of a torque wrench. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper installation and torque specifications.