Proving the Constructibility of Numbers: Hints and Proofs

• Thread starter b0mb0nika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove the theorem that a number is constructible if and only if it can be obtained from Q by taking the square root a finite number of times or applying a finite number of field operations. The definition of a constructible number is given as a real number that can be constructed using a compass and straightedge. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of proving the other direction of the theorem and suggests considering the equations representing the intersections of lines and circles.
b0mb0nika
Hi,

I was trying to prove the following theorem:

if x is a constructible number <=> it can be obtained from Q by taking a the square root a finite number of times ( or applying a finite # of field operations).

I managed to get the proof for <= this way, but I am not really sure on how to proceed to prove in the other direction =>.

Could anyone give me some hints/ proofs ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of a constructible number? (Mine is precisely the one above that you're trying to prove is equivalent to yours.)

matt grime said:
What is your definition of a constructible number? (Mine is precisely the one above that you're trying to prove is equivalent to yours.)

This is what i thought the definition of a constructible number is :

A real number is constructible if and only if, given a line segment of unit length, one can construct a line segment of length | r | with compass and straightedge.

So then a line segment would be constructible ( by using the thm that i stated before) from Q ( as rational numbers are always constructible) by taking the sqrt a finitely # of times. ..

SO <= IF A=sqrt (a) ( a in Q) its easy to show that you can draw the length sqrt A. And we can extend this to taking the sqrt finitely many times.

I just don't know how to show that if A is constructible then A is egual to sqrt(sqrt(...(a) for some a in Q. ( finitely many sqrt's )

Constructing numbers amounts to looking at the points of intersection of various lines and circles, ie, the solutions of certain pairs of equations. What can you say about these equations?

What are constructible numbers?

Constructible numbers are a set of numbers that can be constructed using only a straightedge and compass. They are also known as ruler and compass constructions. These numbers include integers, fractions, and square roots of positive integers.

Can irrational numbers be constructible?

No, irrational numbers, such as pi and e, cannot be constructed using only a straightedge and compass. This is because their decimal expansions are infinite and non-repeating, making it impossible to draw them accurately with these tools.

What is the significance of constructible numbers?

The study of constructible numbers is important in geometry and mathematics as it helps to understand the limitations of geometric constructions. It also has practical applications in fields such as architecture and engineering, where precise constructions are necessary.

How do you construct a number using only a straightedge and compass?

To construct a number, start with a line segment of length 1. Using the compass, draw a circle with this line segment as the radius. Then, using the straightedge, draw a line through the center of the circle and the endpoint of the line segment. The point where this line intersects the circle is a distance of √2 from the endpoint, which is a constructible number.

Are all constructible numbers algebraic?

Yes, all constructible numbers are algebraic, meaning they can be expressed as a root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. This is because the construction process involves taking square roots, which can be represented algebraically.