Calculating Flux through a Uniform Electric Field Penetrating a Cone

• Thread starter kaotak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Flux
In summary, the conversation discusses the flux entering a cone with a uniform electric field parallel to the table. The solution for the flux entering is given by Erh, where E is the electric field strength, r is the radius of the cone, and h is the height of the cone. This is achieved by taking the projection of the cone onto a plane normal to the electric field, which in this case is a triangle with area rh. The concept of flux is compared to the flow of water and Gauss's law is mentioned as a related concept in electromagnetism. Examples of finding the flux through different surfaces, such as a hemisphere, frustum, and cone, are also discussed.
kaotak
Source: Physics and Scientists for Engineers, Ch. 24 #7

A cone of radius R and height h sits on a horizontal table. A uniform electric field parallel to the table penetrates the surface of the cone. What is the flux entering the cone?

Diagram:
(N.B. the dots in the cone are just to give it shape)

E
-->.../.\
-->../...\
-->./...\ <---- cone
-->/____\___________ <- table

The back of the book gives an answer of flux_entering=EhR, which I don't get. I don't see why there isn't a pi in that answer, since the surface area of the face of the cone that's being penetrated certainly does have a pi in it.

My attempt at a solution yields flux_entering=pi*E*h*r/3. Hah, it's close... but not.

EDIT: The field is uniform, I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the integral equation and what does it equal? Need to see the steps of your attempt.

http://64.9.205.64/~andrew/images/latex/images/flux_def.gif

A is the area of the face of the cone that the electric field penetrates, which is half of the surface area of the cone excluding the bottom area. So

http://64.9.205.64/~andrew/images/latex/images/cone_solution.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that is not the formula for the surface area of a cone. I'd double check it, something doesn't look right about it.

You're right. It's SA=pi*R*S (neglecting the base) where S is the slant height. But that still doesn't explain why there's no pi in the textbook solution.

You need to consider the perpendicular part as you're dealing with a dot product. So the surface area you should calculate is not that of half a cone but... what?

That was a bit confusing. Anyways
[tex]\int_S \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{A} = E\int_S dA[/tex]
is wrong.

Last edited:
OK actually you don't need the surface area of cone. You have to take the projection of the cone onto a plane normal to the electric field. That's the area you are interested in.

That's what I thought too but... by that logic can't you say that the shape of a surface doesn't matter when considering the flux?

I am probably missing something but isn't the flux going to be zero since you have the electric field entering on one side and exiting the cone on the other? The normal direction would be pointing outwards and thus the sign of the dot product would reverse from one side to the other?

kaotak said:
That's what I thought too but... by that logic can't you say that the shape of a surface doesn't matter when considering the flux?

That is the point of flux really, and the mathematical formulation to achieve this is the dot product. Think of water flow, it really doesn't matter what shape you stick in there, the same amount of water will flow through. If you throw in a closed surface, the same amount of water that flows in, flows out, unless there happens to be a source or a drain inside the surface. In electromagnetism this is called Gauss's law, which you've probably encountered, or soon will.

bdrosd said:
I am probably missing something but isn't the flux going to be zero since you have the electric field entering on one side and exiting the cone on the other? The normal direction would be pointing outwards and thus the sign of the dot product would reverse from one side to the other?

Only the part going in was asked in the problem.

Oh, I see, thanks. I thought that was only true for a gaussian surface enclosing a charge, but it's also true for the effects of an external charge on the flux entering a gaussian surface (whoo, that was a mouthful).

Yes, you require to take only the projection of area of cone on a plane normal to electric field and it is a triangle for the cone. Area of the triangle = 1/2 * 2r * h = rh
Hence flux = Erh.

Likes carlyn medona
päällikkö said:
that is the point of flux really, and the mathematical formulation to achieve this is the dot product. Think of water flow, it really doesn't matter what shape you stick in there, the same amount of water will flow through. If you throw in a closed surface, the same amount of water that flows in, flows out, unless there happens to be a source or a drain inside the surface. In electromagnetism this is called gauss's law, which you've probably encountered, or soon will.

Only the part going in was asked in the problem.

i am still not able to get it....

I am messed up with this concept of projection of area of different surfaces and flux through different surfaces...

Please someone explain it with some examples such as -

1. Hemisphere
2. Frustum
3. Cone

we have to find flux through all these surfaces

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. In the case of an electric field, flux represents the amount of electric field passing through a given area.

2. How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of the surface. This can be represented by the equation Φ = E · A, where Φ is the flux, E is the electric field, and A is the area vector.

3. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is one in which the electric field strength and direction are constant at every point. It is often represented by evenly spaced parallel lines in a diagram.

4. What is a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point, known as the apex. It can be visualized as a three-dimensional version of a triangle.

5. How does the shape of a cone affect the calculation of flux through a uniform electric field?

The shape of a cone affects the calculation of flux through a uniform electric field because the area vector of a cone changes as you move along its curved surface. This means that the dot product of the electric field and the area vector will also change, resulting in varying flux values at different points on the cone.