Time-Bandwidth Product (Ideal Mode-Locking)

• Thread starter n0_3sc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the expression \Delta\nu\Delta\tau\approx0.44, which represents the relationship between the full width at half maximum (FWHM) in the frequency domain and the time domain for a gaussian pulse. The participants debated the definition of FWHM, with some arguing for the use of standard deviations and others using the traditional definition of FWHM as the full width at half the maximum intensity. The conversation also touched on the use of amplitude and intensity in defining FWHM and how they relate to each other. Ultimately, the correct derivation was found to be \Delta\nu\Delta\tau=0.44, with the use of ln(1/2) as
n0_3sc
So, I'm trying to prove [tex] \Delta\nu\Delta\tau\approx0.44 [/tex]
where;
[tex] \Delta\nu [/tex] is the FWHM in freq domain for a gaussian pulse and
[tex] \Delta\tau [/tex] is FWHM in time domain for a gaussian pulse.

I do the problem by taking a standard gaussian exponential and finding the FWHM in both the time and frequency domain.
BUT, my answer is always EXACTLY a factor of 2 off. Ie. I get [tex] \approx0.88 [/tex].
No matter what form of a gaussian I use it is a factor of 2 off. 0.44 is the right answer (its quoted in many books).

Anyone familiar with this derivation?

Likes Jiho
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the FWHM defined in freq domain and in the time domain?
Is it based on the power spectrum and power (in time) of the signal?
Or is it based on the amplitude?
What definition did you take in your calculation?

Personally I would preffer using standard deviations ...

Because this is a gaussian pulse the FWHM is defined the same way in both time and freq domain (the same goes for [tex] sech^2(t) [/tex]).
Ie. FWHM is just the 'Full Width' at 'Half the Maximum'.
It is based on the intensity distribution.

So if we had: [tex] I(t)=Aexp(\frac{-t^2}{2c^2}) [/tex]

then we just make [tex] I(t) = \frac{A}{2} [/tex] solve for 't', and say [tex] t_+ - t_- [/tex].

Thus, we have the FWHM.

It is a good point as to why we have FWHM, I never thought about it...

n0_3sc,

I did the calculation myself and found Dt.Df = 8*ln(2^0.5)/2Pi = 0.44.

You probably made a mistake by confusing half-width on the amplitude spectrum (DfA) and half-width on the intensity spectrum (DfI), and the same for the time-signal.

If you take the half-width on the amplitude spectrum you get: Dt.Df = 8*ln(2)/2Pi = 0.44 .
If you take the half-width on the intensity spectrum you get: Dt.Df = 8*ln(2^0.5)/2Pi = 0.44 .
The square root corresponds simply to a conversion from heigth in ampltude to heigth in intensity.

Yes, if I calculate the 'half-width' too, I get 0.44.

But [tex] \Delta\nu\Delta\tau [/tex] is defined as the FWHM ie. the 'full-width'.

In which case the full width would be 0.88.
Unless the time-bandwidth product is actually defined as the HWHM (half-width) then I have no problems. Would you know if it is?

Sorry, but I get lost with all the abreviations FWHM, HWHM, ...
Sorry too if I used the wrong words ...

Here is precisely what I did:

I used the "[URL
Fourier transform table[/URL] table from wiki. There you find the following entry:

[tex]e^{-\alpha t^2}[/tex] == FT ==> [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \alpha}}\cdot e^{-\frac{\omega^2}{4 \alpha}}[/tex]

Therefore, the full width at a certain height "x" of the "signal amplitude" is:

[tex]Dt = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\alpha} ln(\frac{1}{x})}[/tex]

and the full width at a certain height "x" of the "fourier amplitude" is:

[tex]D\omega = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\beta} ln(\frac{1}{x})}[/tex] where [tex]\beta = \frac {1}{4\alpha}[/tex]

Now, the intensity is the square of the amplitude, therefore cutting the intensity at height y is the same as cutting the amplitude at height x, if y=x².
Therefore on this basis the formula above become:

[tex]Dt = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\alpha} ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})}[/tex]

[tex]D\omega = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\beta} ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})}[/tex] where [tex]\beta = \frac {1}{4\alpha}[/tex]

And therefore successively:

[tex]Dt.D\omega = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\alpha} ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})} * 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\beta} ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})}[/tex]

[tex]Dt.D\omega = 8 ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})[/tex]

[tex]Dt.Df= \frac{8 ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}})}{2\pi}[/tex]

and for y=0.5, you get Dt.Df = 0.44

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes roam
Oh, I completely see where I went wrong.
I was treating the intensity as having a gaussian function like the electric field function you had. I also had put in numbers at the start of my equations eg:

[tex] I(t)=Aexp(\frac{-t^2}{2c^2}) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{A}{2}=Aexp(\frac{-t^2}{2c^2}) [/tex]

[tex] ln(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{-t^2}{2c^2} [/tex]

and so on...

but thanks, I see what I've done wrong and corrected it.

1. What is the Time-Bandwidth Product (TBP)?

The Time-Bandwidth Product (TBP) is a measure of the spectral purity of an ideal mode-locked laser pulse. It is calculated by multiplying the pulse duration (in time) by the spectral bandwidth (in frequency). In other words, it represents the number of cycles of the optical carrier contained within the laser pulse.

2. Why is the Time-Bandwidth Product important in mode-locked lasers?

The TBP is important because it is a fundamental limit on the achievable pulse duration and spectral bandwidth in mode-locked lasers. It also determines the efficiency and stability of mode-locking, as well as the amount of energy that can be contained in a single pulse.

3. How does the Time-Bandwidth Product affect the performance of a mode-locked laser?

A higher TBP generally results in shorter pulses and broader spectral bandwidths, which are desirable characteristics for many applications. However, a very high TBP can also lead to increased nonlinear effects and pulse distortions, which can degrade the overall performance of the laser.

4. How can the Time-Bandwidth Product be optimized in a mode-locked laser?

The TBP can be optimized by carefully adjusting the cavity parameters, such as the cavity length, dispersion, and gain, to achieve the desired pulse duration and spectral bandwidth. The use of nonlinear optical elements, such as saturable absorbers or Kerr media, can also help to improve the TBP.

5. What are the limitations of the Time-Bandwidth Product in mode-locked lasers?

The TBP is limited by the physical properties of the laser cavity and the gain medium. For example, the gain bandwidth and cavity dispersion can set a lower bound on the achievable TBP. Additionally, the TBP cannot exceed a certain value without compromising the stability and performance of the laser.