General advantages/Disadvantages of going into physics

In summary, the conversation discusses general opinions on being a physicist, including the challenges of meeting women in the field and dealing with societal perceptions. It is also mentioned that one does not have to be a genius to be successful in physics and that collaboration is important in the scientific community. The conversation also includes personal experiences and anecdotes about people's reactions to the mention of studying physics as a major.
Ki Man
general opinions? hate your job? have trouble meeting women? what problems are there living as a physicist

(yes i am aware that this is the PF lounge. I'm posting here on purpose)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ki Man said:
have trouble meeting women?

Well, from the physics scenes in Spiderman 3, there are oodles of attractive female physicists. Of course they were all working on a machine that can break a man up into particles and still leave him alive, so they probably are to busy to date the rest of us male physicists...:rofl::rolleyes:

Seriously though. I'd say the worst part of being a physics STUDENT is the looks you get... You know, the "why the hell would you want to do THAT for living look?" :eek: whenever you tell someone outside the sciences what your major is.

Last edited:
Personally, i think it is very impractical for some one to go into the field and not as a genius.

kant said:
Personally, i think it is very impractical for some one to go into the field and not as a genius.

I'm sorry, do you mean that a person has to be a genius for it to be practical to go into physics?

If this is the case, I must disagree. I think a person must be intelligent, but not a genius to be a successful physicist.

G01 said:
If this is the case, I must disagree. I think a person must be intelligent, but not a genius to be a successful physicist.

string theory got pretty far using that method

G01 said:
Seriously though. I'd say the worst part of being a physics STUDENT is the looks you get... You know, the "why the hell would you want to do THAT for living look?" :eek: whenever you tell someone outside the sciences what your major is.

yeah... i get that from my friends sometimes when i tell them my goals. what i want to know is "how can you NOT be obsessed with physics?!" :bugeye:

Ki Man said:
string theory got pretty far using that method

Well really any field. Consider the members of this forum. Do you consider the members here who are known to be successful physicists with jobs and publications to be geniuses? I wouldn't think so. I far as I can tell, they are just intelligent people, with a love for science and good work ethic.

Ki Man said:
yeah... i get that from my friends sometimes when i tell them my goals. what i want to know is "how can you NOT be obsessed with physics?!" :bugeye:

Hehehe, I wonder how they would answer that?

kant said:

I disagree. Every little contribution helps.

Pythagorean said:
I disagree. Every little contribution helps.

Exactly. Science is something that the scientific community works on together. It's not a competition between scientists.

generals don't win wars by themselves

G01 said:
Exactly. Science is something that the scientific community works on together. It's not a competition between scientists.

well... depending on the scientist; They actually make us compete with each other in Grad School... but yeah, that is the ideal.

G01 said:

I'm entering college fall 07, but I've already received that look from people asking what my major will be... Goes something like this

Friend: What are you planning on majoring in?
Me: Physics
Friend: Why would you do that? What will you do with a physics degree?

moose said:
Friend: Why would you do that? What will you do with a physics degree?

That's my favorite line!

I also like what happens next...

Me:Well, What's you major?

Friend: Communications:approve:

Me::uhh:

Heard that line more times than I can remember.

I know an astrophysicist, and when he gets asked "What do you do?" by the person sitting next to him in a plane, he responds:

"I'm an astronomer" if he feels like talking;

"I'm a physicist" if he doesn't want to be disturbed.

What are the general advantages of going into physics?

1. Career opportunities: Physics is a highly versatile field that offers a wide range of career opportunities in research, academia, industry, and government sectors.

2. Problem-solving skills: Studying physics trains your mind to think critically and analytically, making you an excellent problem solver in various fields.

3. Understanding of the world: Physics helps you understand how the world works at a fundamental level, from the smallest particles to the largest structures in the universe.

4. Transferable skills: The skills you gain in physics, such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and experimental design, are transferable to many other fields.

5. Contribution to society: Physics has led to numerous technological advancements that have greatly benefited society, such as medical imaging, renewable energy, and communication systems.

What are the general disadvantages of going into physics?

1. High competition: Physics is a competitive field, and securing a job or funding for research can be challenging.

2. Time-consuming: Pursuing a career in physics requires a significant time commitment, both in education and research.

3. Complex concepts: Physics deals with abstract concepts that can be challenging to grasp, making it a difficult subject for some people.

4. Required resources: Physics research often requires expensive equipment and resources, which may not be readily available to all researchers.

5. Limited job prospects: While physics offers diverse career opportunities, the demand for physicists may be limited in certain areas, leading to a competitive job market.

How can studying physics benefit other fields?

1. Problem-solving skills: Physics teaches you how to approach complex problems using logical and analytical thinking, which is beneficial in many other fields.

2. Technological advancements: Many technological advancements, such as medical imaging, rely on the principles of physics and require physicists to develop and improve them.

3. Data analysis: The ability to analyze and interpret data is crucial in various fields, such as finance, economics, and environmental science, which are heavily reliant on physics concepts.

4. Interdisciplinary research: Physics overlaps with many other disciplines, allowing for collaboration and research in interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics, geophysics, and astrophysics.

5. Understanding of natural phenomena: The laws and principles of physics govern many natural phenomena, making a deep understanding of physics beneficial in fields like geology, meteorology, and oceanography.

What skills are needed to succeed in physics?

1. Strong mathematical background: Physics involves complex mathematical equations and concepts, so a solid understanding of mathematics is essential.

2. Critical thinking: Physics requires you to think critically and logically to solve problems and understand complex concepts.

3. Creativity and innovation: To make new discoveries and advancements in physics, you need to think creatively and have an innovative mindset.

4. Attention to detail: In experimental physics, attention to detail is crucial as small errors can lead to significant discrepancies in results.

5. Perseverance: Physics research can be challenging and involve long hours of work, so perseverance is necessary to achieve success.

What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

1. Physics is only for geniuses: While physics involves complex concepts, anyone can study and excel in the field with dedication and hard work.

2. Physics is all about theoretical concepts: While physics does involve theoretical concepts, experimental physics is equally important in making new discoveries.

3. Physics is only for men: Historically, physics has been a male-dominated field, but there are many successful female physicists, and efforts are being made to promote diversity in the field.

4. Physics is only for those interested in astronomy: Physics covers a wide range of topics beyond astronomy, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. There are no job opportunities in physics: Physics offers diverse career opportunities, and physicists are in demand in various industries, including healthcare, technology, and finance.