Solving a Limits Question in Schaum's: Uncovering the Answer of 1/(2*sqrt(3))

• Thread starter eprjenkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limits question using the conjugate method and its usefulness in simplifying expressions involving square roots. The conversation also touches on the definition of the conjugate and its application in taking limits. The final comment mentions the connection between limits and derivatives.
eprjenkins
I have been reading through Schaum's and came across a limits question that i cannot figure out. I thought it had no limit but the answer is 1/(2*sqrt(3)). I have no idea of how to use latex so I will attempt it using basic characters; hopefully not to obscure.

lim(x>0) ((sqrt(x+3))-(sqrt(3))/x

I cannot see how to simplify in order to get rid of the denominator x.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply the whole thing by (sqrt(x+3)+sqrt(3))/(sqrt(x+3)+sqrt(3)). This is called multiplying by the conjugate and its often useful. The effect is to "switch" the square roots from denom to num. (or vice versa) and to take the arguments of the square roots "out of them". Understandable?

Merci beaucoup, all is clear. If not too difficult can you give me a definition of the conjugate? Maybe its in this book...

eprjenkins said:
Merci beaucoup, all is clear. If not too difficult can you give me a definition of the conjugate? Maybe its in this book...

"conjugate" may mean several things. But in this particular case, say, we have the expression: [tex]\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}[/tex], then its conjugate is: [tex]\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b}[/tex], or [tex]\sqrt{b} - \sqrt{a}[/tex].

This is a common practice in taking the limit of something, especially in the form 0 / 0. Since you can factor a polynomial, but not a surd. So, what you should do is to rationalize it, i.e eliminate the square roots.

This is some circular logic here but in case you just wanted to value and not how to prove it, you could recognize that the limit you stated is the definition for the derivative of the square root function evaluated at 3.

Thank you all. Gib Z, I have only begun limits; but I'm sure I'll get to derivatives and the like soon, only a few chapters away.

1. How do you solve a limits question in Schaum's?

The first step in solving a limits question in Schaum's is to identify the function and the value it is approaching. Then, use algebraic methods such as factoring, simplifying, or multiplying by the conjugate to manipulate the function into a form that is easier to evaluate.

2. What is the general approach to solving a limits question?

The general approach to solving a limits question is to first simplify the function as much as possible and then plug in the value it is approaching. If the function is indeterminate at that value, use algebraic methods to manipulate the function until it can be evaluated.

3. How do you handle a limit involving a radical expression?

To handle a limit involving a radical expression, you can multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the radical expression. This will often simplify the function and allow you to evaluate the limit.

4. What is the significance of the answer 1/(2*sqrt(3)) in a limits question?

The answer 1/(2*sqrt(3)) indicates that the function approaches this value as the independent variable approaches the given value. It is important to note that this is the limit of the function, not necessarily the actual value of the function at that point.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving a limits question in Schaum's?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving a limits question in Schaum's. These include limits involving infinity, limits involving absolute value, and limits involving trigonometric functions. It is important to be familiar with these special cases and know how to handle them when solving a limits question.