Complex cosine equation (complex analysis)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation cosz = 2i in the complex numbers. The solution involves finding the values of z in terms of x and y, and using the properties of logarithms to simplify the answer. The book provides a slightly different form of the answer, but both solutions are correct.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]cosz = 2i , z\in \mathbb{C} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]e^{iz}+e^{-iz} = 4i[/tex]

[tex]t=e^{-z} [/tex]

[tex]t+t^{-1}=4i \Rightarrow t^{2}-4it+1=0 [/tex]

[tex]t = (2 \pm \sqrt{5})i[/tex]

[tex]log(e^{-z}) = logt [/tex]

[tex]z = x + yi;x,y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]log(e^{-z}) = log(e^{-y+ix}) = -y +xi + 2\pi ni; n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]logt = log((2 \pm \sqrt{5})i) = ln|(2 \pm \sqrt{5})| \pm \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi hi, h \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y= -ln|(2 \pm \sqrt{5})| [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x= \pm \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi p, p \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]z= \pm \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi p -iln|(2 \pm \sqrt{5})|[/tex]

answer in book:
[tex]z = \pm\lbrace \frac{\pi}{2} -iln(2 + \sqrt{5})\rbrace+2\pi n, n\in \mathbb{Z}
[/tex]

Were did I do wrong? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't go wrong. The book just found a sneakier way to write the answer. Since (sqrt(5)+2)*(sqrt(5)-2)=1, they are actually reciprocals. So their logs are negatives of each other. Thus you can sneak the log under the same +/- as the pi/2.

aa, it is almost always the most simplest of solutions :) I shall check it out tomorrow. It is very late now in Sweden hehe. This is a summer course I am taking now, Complex analysis with applications.

thanx!

1. What is a complex cosine equation?

A complex cosine equation refers to an equation that involves complex numbers and the cosine function. It can be written in the form of z = cos(w), where z and w are complex numbers.

2. How is a complex cosine equation different from a regular cosine equation?

A regular cosine equation only involves real numbers, while a complex cosine equation involves complex numbers. This means that the solutions to a complex cosine equation will also be complex numbers, unlike a regular cosine equation where the solutions are real numbers.

3. What are the applications of complex cosine equations in science?

Complex cosine equations are used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in analyzing oscillatory systems and describing the behavior of waves.

4. How do you solve a complex cosine equation?

To solve a complex cosine equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to transform it into a simpler form. Then, you can use techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to find the solutions.

5. Can a complex cosine equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex cosine equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the cosine function has a period of 2π, which means that it repeats itself after every 2π radians. Therefore, there can be infinitely many solutions to a complex cosine equation within a given range of values for w.