Proving Infinitely Many Segments in an Opened Set

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that from every opened set, there is an infinite number of segments within it. The definition of a segment is explained and it is clarified that you cannot actually construct infinitely many segments, but rather prove that there is no upper limit on the number of segments that can be constructed. The method for proving this is outlined, involving dividing a line segment into finitely more line segments and showing that there is no upper bound on the number of segments that can be created within an interval.
sutupidmath
Hi,
i was just wondering how to prove that from every opened set we can create infinitely many segments within it. My point is this, if we have a scaled line, and if we choose an interval, let's say (a,b), then how can i prove that i can construct infinitely many segments whithin the given interval (a,b)?

I hope u got my point, couse i have been a little ambiguous.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a segment?

Well, a segment is the set of all points,that lay on a line, between two fixed points, including these two,boundary, points. [a,b].
Something like this, right?

Last edited:
Well, it's a subtle point, but you can't actually "construct" infinitely many segments. Rather what the question is asking you to prove is that there is no upper limit on the number of segments you can construct.

You would prove there is no upper limit as follows. First prove that you can divide any given line segment into finitely more line segments(two will do). Then assume there is an upper bound N, on the number of segments (a,b) can be divided into. But every one of those line segments can be divided up into more by the first part of the proof, and now (a,b) has been divided up inot more than N segments. So the assumption of an upper bound on the number of segments is false, and there is no upper limit on how many times you can segment an interval.

1. What does it mean to prove infinitely many segments in an opened set?

Proving infinitely many segments in an opened set means to demonstrate that there are an endless number of line segments within a given set that are not connected or intersecting with each other.

2. Why is it important to prove infinitely many segments in an opened set?

Proving infinitely many segments in an opened set is important in mathematics and other scientific fields because it helps to establish the existence of a continuous and infinite space within a given set. This can have implications for understanding the behavior of physical phenomena and developing mathematical models.

3. What are some methods for proving infinitely many segments in an opened set?

One method for proving infinitely many segments in an opened set is through the use of the Archimedean property, which states that given any two points in a set, there exists a third point that is a certain distance away. Another method is through the use of mathematical induction, where the infinite set can be divided into smaller subsets that can be shown to have infinitely many segments.

4. Can infinitely many segments in an opened set be proven in a finite amount of time?

No, proving infinitely many segments in an opened set is a mathematical concept that cannot be fully proven in a finite amount of time. It requires the use of infinite sets and the concept of infinity, which are abstract and cannot be fully comprehended in a finite amount of time.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving infinitely many segments in an opened set?

Yes, the concept of proving infinitely many segments in an opened set has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can help to understand the behavior of continuous systems, such as the flow of fluids or the propagation of waves. It can also be used in computer science to develop algorithms for tasks that require an infinite number of steps.