The Mass of HD68988 Relative to Our Sun is 8.6 Times the Mass of the Sun

In summary, a planet was discovered orbiting around the star HD68988 on October 15, 2001. Its orbital distance is 10.5 million kilometers and its orbital period is estimated at 6.3 days. The mass of HD68988 is 2.31*10^{30} kg, and if expressed in terms of the sun's mass, it would be 5 times the mass of the sun.
Abarak

Homework Statement

On October 15, 2001, a planet was discovered orbiting around the star HD68988. Its orbital distance was measured to be 10.5 million kilometers from the center of the star, and its orbital period was estimated at 6.3 days.

Question A:
What is the mass of HD68988? -- I found this: [tex]2.31*10^{30} kg[/tex]

Question B:
Express your answer in terms of our sun's mass. -- I have no idea what they mean by this.

Any ideas??

-- Abarak

Physics news on Phys.org
Abarak said:
Express your answer in terms of our sun's mass. -- I have no idea what they mean by this.
If your answer was 50 units and the sun's mass was 10 units, then your answer could be expressed as 5 sun masses. (Just divide.)

You'll need to look up the sun's mass.

Thanks for the help. I keep over thinking these problems and I need to stop.

-- Abarak

What does it mean that the mass of HD68988 is 8.6 times the mass of the Sun?

This means that the mass of HD68988 is 8.6 times greater than that of our Sun. In other words, HD68988 is a significantly larger and more massive star compared to the Sun.

How do scientists determine the mass of a star?

Scientists can determine the mass of a star by studying its gravitational interactions with other objects, such as planets or other stars. The more massive a star is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be on other objects.

Why is the mass of a star important?

The mass of a star is important because it determines many of its characteristics, such as its temperature, luminosity, and lifespan. A star's mass also affects its evolution and how it will eventually die.

What other information is needed to fully understand the mass of HD68988?

In addition to the mass of HD68988, other important factors to consider include its distance from Earth, its age, and its composition. These factors can provide a more complete understanding of the star and its properties.

Is it possible for a star to have a mass greater than HD68988?

Yes, it is possible for a star to have a mass greater than HD68988. In fact, there are many stars in the universe that are much more massive than HD68988. The most massive known star is estimated to be over 300 times the mass of our Sun.