Pulling a block up an incline: work

In summary, the total work done on the block by the applied force F as it moves a distance L up the incline is equal to L(F - u*m*g)cos(theta), where u is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This takes into account the angle of the incline and the force of friction opposing the applied force. The correct answer can be obtained by using sin instead of cos for the first part of the equation involving the force of gravity.
jaded18
Physics news on Phys.org
Work is just force * distance.
The friction opposing F is simply friction_coef * normal force

first of all the answer must be expressed in terms of F, L, theta, mew, m, and g

second, well... you're not taking into account the angle...

Sorry the diagram isn't very clear, I thought the force was acting in the direciton of the red arrow - if it actually acting horizontally as shown by the tiny arrow above the F, then the FLcos(theta) is correct.

But FLcos(theta) is not the answer. shouldn't it be FLcos(theta) minus something like force of friction??

Normal force is m g cos(theta), so friction along the slope is coeff_friction * m g cos(theta).
The force up the slope is F cos(theta) Assuming that the little arrow means F is horizontal.
So the work done by the force is ( F cos(theta) - u m g cos(theta) ) times distance, or W = L ( F - u m g ) cos(theta) unless I made a mistake !

that's the answer i originally came up with isn't it (look at first post). but i know for a fact that the answer is wrong... I'm so confused. anyone know how to solve this thing??

oh. haha. i get it. use sin instead of cos for the first part with the force of gravity. thanks for trying, mgb_phys!

so what is the correct answer?

1. What is work in relation to pulling a block up an incline?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another by applying a force over a distance. In the case of pulling a block up an incline, work is being done against the force of gravity to move the block from a lower position to a higher position.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the amount of work required to pull a block up?

The angle of the incline affects the amount of work required because it determines the distance over which the force must be applied. The steeper the incline, the longer the distance the block must be pulled, resulting in more work being done.

3. Is the force required to pull a block up an incline greater than the force required to pull it horizontally?

Yes, the force required to pull a block up an incline is greater than the force required to pull it horizontally. This is because when pulling up an incline, the force must not only overcome the weight of the block, but also the component of the weight acting in the direction of the incline.

4. How do friction and the surface of the incline affect the amount of work required?

Friction and the surface of the incline can both increase the amount of work required to pull a block up. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, meaning more work must be done to overcome it. The rougher the surface of the incline, the more friction will be present, resulting in more work being required.

5. Can you calculate the amount of work required to pull a block up an incline?

Yes, the work done in pulling a block up an incline can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. However, this calculation may be more complex if friction and the angle of the incline are taken into account.