Does Dust Scattering Alter the Cosmic Background Radiation Spectrum at z < 100?

• Thread starter hellfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation discusses a section in Peebles' "Principles of Physical Cosmology" where he analyzes the impact of dust scattering on the cosmic background radiation in an Einstein-deSitter universe at redshifts z < 100. The conclusion is that while dust scattering may have affected the radiation's spectrum, observations show that it did not. The speaker expresses disappointment in not finding a prediction that dust did not change the spectrum at high redshifts, but acknowledges that this may depend on the cosmological model for structure formation. They request further discussion or references on this topic.
hellfire
Science Advisor
I was reading section 24 of Peebles "Principles of Physical Cosmology" where he analizes the impact of scattering by dust at redshifts z < 100 on the cosmic background radiation for an Einstein-deSitter universe. I was disappointed to find out that at the end of the subsection he concludes that this scattering may have changed the spectrum of the radiation, but that it obviously did not according to observations. I would have expected to have found a prediction that dust did actually not change the spectrum at high redshifts, or that such an effect did not leave an imprint in the spectrum greater than the scale of the current anisotropies. However, it seems to me that he is claiming that this depends strongly on the considered cosmological model for structure formation (see conclusions on page 597 after equation 24.95). Some discussion or some references on this would be welcome.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Sorry for bringing up this old topic again. But I came again across Peebles section about the CBR and was wondering again about this topic. May be someone could give some hint now?

1. What is the CBR and why is it important?

The Cosmic Background Radiation (CBR) is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang that permeates throughout the universe. It is important because it provides evidence for the early stages of the universe and helps us understand the evolution of the universe.

2. How is the CBR scattered at z < 100?

The CBR is scattered at z < 100 due to the interaction of photons with free electrons and atoms in the early universe. This scattering process is called Compton scattering and it causes the CBR to become polarized.

3. What can studying the scattering of CBR at z < 100 tell us about the universe?

Studying the scattering of CBR at z < 100 can tell us about the matter and energy distribution in the early universe, the expansion rate of the universe, and the development of large-scale structures in the universe.

4. How is the CBR scattered differently at z < 100 compared to z > 100?

At z < 100, the universe was still relatively dense and hot, so the scattering of CBR was more frequent and the photons were more easily scattered. At z > 100, the universe was less dense and cooler, so the scattering of CBR was less frequent and the photons were less affected.

5. What techniques are used to study the scattering of CBR at z < 100?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the scattering of CBR at z < 100, including observing the polarization of the CBR, measuring the temperature fluctuations of the CBR, and analyzing the anisotropies in the CBR. These techniques require advanced instruments such as telescopes and detectors to gather and analyze data from the CBR.