Calculating work in Adiabatic compressions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive expressions for the final temperature and work done in an adiabatic compression, given initial and final pressures and temperature. The ideal gas law and adiabatic relation are used to manipulate the equations and solve for the desired expressions. There is some discrepancy in the approach between the two individuals, but both ultimately result in the same answer.
T-7
Hi,

I'm thinking about how to derive an expression for the final temperature (call it T2) and the work done (call it W) in an adiabatic compression, when you only know the initial and final pressures (call them P1 and P2), and the initial temperature (call it T1). I'm not sure about my expression though, and would appreciate someone having a look at them.

Since it's an adiabatic process, I infer that

[tex]PV^{K} = const[/tex]

Using the ideal gas law, and rearranging a bit, I make it that

[tex]T_{2} = \frac{P_{1}^{1/K-1}}{P_{2}^{1/K-1}}T_{1}[/tex]

Is that sensible (?).

For the last bit, I ended up deriving the expression

[tex]W = nR\frac{T_{1}-T_{2}}{1-1/K}[/tex]

which to me just looks too simple.

I started with the usual

[tex]W = \int^{V_{1}}_{V_{2}}P dV[/tex]

replacing dV with [tex]-nRT\frac{dP}{P^{2}}[/tex] and the T with [tex]bP^{1-1/K}[/tex] since [tex]b^{1/K-1}T = const. = b \Rightarrow T = bP^{1-1/K}[/tex] to obtain, in the end, the integral:

[tex]W = -nRb \int^{P_{2}}_{P_{1}} P^{-1/K} dP[/tex]

On integrating, I find

[tex]W = nR \frac{bP_{1}^{1-1/K}-bP_{2}^{1-1/K}}{1-1/K}[/tex]

and then substituting for the b's in terms of T1 and P1 or T2 and P2, I found they disappeared, leaving me with

But I'm not sure that's right (?). How does it look to you?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
T-7 said:
... I make it that

[tex]T_{2} = \frac{P_{1}^{1/K-1}}{P_{2}^{1/K-1}}T_{1}[/tex]

I agree with this portion.

For the last bit, I ended up deriving the expression

I agree with this up to the dimensionless denominator. Since this is positive, as
[tex] T_{1} < T_{2}[/tex] and 1 < (1/K) , I take this to be your result for work done on the gas.

I chose not to change the variable of integration, so the work integral becomes

[tex]W = \int^{V_{2}}_{V_{1}} P_{1}(\frac{V_{1}^{K}}{V^{K}}) dV[/tex] .

After integrating, this leads to

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}^{K}}{1-K}·(V_{2}^{1-K}-V_{1}^{1-K})[/tex] .

Distributing the [tex]V_{1}^{K}[/tex] factor, we obtain

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}·(V_{1}^{K}V_{2}^{1-K}-V_{1})[/tex] .

Returning to the adiabatic relation for a moment, we derive

[tex]T_{1}V_{1}^{K-1} = T_{2}V_{2}^{K-1} [/tex] , giving

[tex] V_{2}^{1-K} = \frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}V_{1}^{1-K}[/tex] ,

which we can now substitute into the result from the integration to get

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}(V_{1}^{K}\frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}V_{1}^{1-K}-V_{1})[/tex] ,

or

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}(\frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}-1)V_{1}[/tex].

But [tex] V_{1} = \frac{nRT_{1}}{P_{1}}[/tex], reducing the result to

[tex]W = \frac{nR(T_{2}-T_{1})}{1-K}[/tex] .

I've calculated the work done by the gas, so we'd reverse the numerator for the work done on the gas.

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
I agree with this portion.

I agree with this up to the dimensionless denominator. Since this is positive, as
[tex] T_{1} < T_{2}[/tex] and 1 < (1/K) , I take this to be your result for work done on the gas.

I chose not to change the variable of integration, so the work integral becomes

[tex]W = \int^{V_{2}}_{V_{1}} P_{1}(\frac{V_{1}^{K}}{V^{K}}) dV[/tex] .

After integrating, this leads to

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}^{K}}{1-K}·(V_{2}^{1-K}-V_{1}^{1-K})[/tex] .

Distributing the [tex]V_{1}^{K}[/tex] factor, we obtain

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}·(V_{1}^{K}V_{2}^{1-K}-V_{1})[/tex] .

Returning to the adiabatic relation for a moment, we derive

[tex]T_{1}V_{1}^{K-1} = T_{2}V_{2}^{K-1} [/tex] , giving

[tex] V_{2}^{1-K} = \frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}V_{1}^{1-K}[/tex] ,

which we can now substitute into the result from the integration to get

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}(V_{1}^{K}\frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}V_{1}^{1-K}-V_{1})[/tex] ,

or

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}}{1-K}(\frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}-1)V_{1}[/tex].

But [tex] V_{1} = \frac{nRT_{1}}{P_{1}}[/tex], reducing the result to

[tex]W = \frac{nR(T_{2}-T_{1})}{1-K}[/tex] .

I've calculated the work done by the gas, so we'd reverse the numerator for the work done on the gas.

Thanks for your reply!

I've done it your way, and get your result. And done it again my way, and still get my result! I'll try again, but surely the two approaches should end up with the same answer in the end!

I believe a factor of 1/K may have gotten away from you. I started from

and differentiated it to get

[tex]V^{K} dP + P KV^{K-1} dV = 0[/tex] , or

[tex]\frac{dP}{P} = -K \frac{dV}{V}[/tex] . (Logarithmic differentiation gets you here also.)

Replacing this in the integral for work done by the gas,

[tex]W = \int^{V_{2}}_{V_{1}}P dV[/tex] , gives

[tex]W = - (\frac{1}{K}) \int^{P_{2}}_{P_{1}} V dP[/tex] or

[tex]W = - (\frac{1}{K}) \int^{P_{2}}_{P_{1}} (\frac{c}{P^{1/K}}) dP[/tex] ,

where [tex] c = P_{1}^{1/K}V_{1}[/tex] .

Carrying out the integral, we obtain

[tex]W = -\frac{c}{K} (\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{K}}) (P_{2}^{1-\frac{1}{K}} - P_{1}^{1-\frac{1}{K}})[/tex] .

Replacing c , we have

[tex]W = \frac{P_{1}^{1/K}V_{1}}{K-1} (P_{1}^{1-\frac{1}{K}} - P_{2}^{1-\frac{1}{K}})[/tex] .

If we now distribute the numerator factor through,

[tex]W = \frac{1}{K-1} (P_{1}V_{1} - P_{1}^{1/K}V_{1}P_{2}^{1-\frac{1}{K}})[/tex] .

But

[tex]P_{1}V_{1} = nRT_{1}[/tex] and, from the adiabatic relation,

[tex]P_{1}^{1/K}V_{1} = P_{2}^{1/K}V_{2} [/tex] , so the second term above is

[tex]P_{1}^{1/K}V_{1}P_{2}^{1-\frac{1}{K}} = P_{2}^{1/K}V_{2}P_{2}^{1-\frac{1}{K}} = P_{2}V_{2} = nRT_{2} [/tex] .

So, at last, the work done by the gas is

[tex]W = \frac{1}{K-1} (nRT_{1} - nRT_{2}) = \frac{nR}{K-1} (T_{1} - T_{2})[/tex] < 0 ,

the work done on the gas being the negative of this.

These manipulations get tricky (I had to check this three times to make sure I caught all the sign and distribution errors, to say nothing of fixing the TeX... >:/ ). I preferred doing this one by integrating on volume because there was less to transform.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

dynamicsolo said:
I believe a factor of 1/K may have gotten away from you. I started from

and differentiated it to get

[tex]V^{K} dP + P KV^{K-1} dV = 0[/tex] , or

[tex]\frac{dP}{P} = -K \frac{dV}{V}[/tex] . (Logarithmic differentiation gets you here also.)

Ah. Now I said:

[tex]
PV = nRT \Rightarrow dV = -\frac{nRT}{P^{2}} dP
[/tex]

If I rearranged that into the form above, it would be

[tex]
\frac{dP}{P^{2}} = - \frac{dV}{nRT} = -\frac{dV}{PV} \Rightarrow
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{dP}{P} = - \frac{dV}{V}
[/tex]

And there we seem to have the discrepancy in our two approaches. You have a K in your expression, I don't. Much as I admire your proof, I don't intend to copy it. ;-) I'm not sure why I can't work out the derivative in the way that I have: the ideal gas law should hold. In my case I kept it as

[tex]
[/tex]

and rewrote the T term as a function of the pressure using the appropriate adiabatic relation. I'm not clear why that wouldn't work.

T-7 said:
In my case I kept it as

[tex]
[/tex]

and rewrote the T term as a function of the pressure using the appropriate adiabatic relation. I'm not clear why that wouldn't work.

OK, here's the problem: this differentiation would be fine for an isothermal process, but T is not constant in an adiabatic one. So you'd need to start from

V = nRT/P

and differentiate with respect to both P and T:

dV = (nR/P) dT - (nRT/[P^2]) dP .

Thermodynamics problems often make for headaches this way, because any of the quantities can be variables, so you have to keep in mind the properties of the particular process you're modeling. [Examples in basic textbooks frequently just illustrate certain constrained processes, such as isothermal or isobaric ones, so students can be misled into thinking that one or another derivative will always become zero.] It's best to start from the defining relation for the process you're analyzing, rather than the ideal gas law, which is really extremely general (and thank goodness!).

dynamicsolo said:
OK, here's the problem: this differentiation would be fine for an isothermal process, but T is not constant in an adiabatic one. So you'd need to start from

V = nRT/P

and differentiate with respect to both P and T:

dV = (nR/P) dT - (nRT/[P^2]) dP .

Thermodynamics problems often make for headaches this way, because any of the quantities can be variables, so you have to keep in mind the properties of the particular process you're modeling. [Examples in basic textbooks frequently just illustrate certain constrained processes, such as isothermal or isobaric ones, so students can be misled into thinking that one or another derivative will always become zero.] It's best to start from the defining relation for the process you're analyzing, rather than the ideal gas law, which is really extremely general (and thank goodness!).

Gotcha. 10/10 for your help on this problem. I really feel I've learned something working through this with you.

Cheers.

1. How do you calculate work in adiabatic compressions?

To calculate work in adiabatic compressions, you can use the formula W = -P∆V, where P is the pressure and ∆V is the change in volume.

2. What is an adiabatic compression?

An adiabatic compression is a process where a gas is compressed without any heat exchange with its surroundings, meaning there is no transfer of heat or energy.

3. What is the role of temperature in adiabatic compressions?

Temperature plays a significant role in adiabatic compressions, as it is directly related to the pressure and volume of the gas. As the gas is compressed, the temperature increases, and vice versa.

4. Can you give an example of an adiabatic compression?

An example of an adiabatic compression is the compression stroke in an internal combustion engine. The fuel-air mixture is compressed quickly and adiabatically, leading to an increase in temperature and pressure, which results in the explosion that powers the engine.

5. How is work related to the first law of thermodynamics in adiabatic compressions?

In adiabatic compressions, the first law of thermodynamics states that the work done on the gas is equal to the decrease in its internal energy. This is because there is no heat exchange, so the change in internal energy is solely due to the work done on the gas.