Integration - Trig Substitutions (solve for Y)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem for y as a function of x and the use of U substitution. The integrand is 1/sec(t)^3 and the dx is sec(t)^2*dt, resulting in a simple solution. The conversation also mentions difficulties with texing and reassures the individual seeking help that the problem is easier than they think.
MeanGreen07

Homework Statement

Solve the problem for y as a function of x

a) [tex] (x^2+1)^2 \frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{x^2+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After some simplifying, I get here but get stuck:

Did I go the wrong route going for the U sub? Were my calculations wrong to begin with? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. But the tex is hugely unclear. In the end the integral should have come out to be dtheta/sec(theta). And that's hugely easy.

Stop texing. Your integrand is 1/sec(t)^3 and the dx is sec(t)^2*dt.

Sorry guys. My texing was bad and it appears my question was too simple for these forums.

Hey, hey. Sorry. I wasn't criticizing you. I can't TeX for s**t either. I'm just saying the problem is easier than you think. You just didn't put the integrand together with the dx and get a simple solution.

Dick said:
Hey, hey. Sorry. I wasn't criticizing you. I can't TeX for s**t either. I'm just saying the problem is easier than you think. You just didn't put the integrand together with the dx and get a simple solution.

Well, I feel somewhat better. LOL!

Thanks for the help!

What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals involving algebraic expressions and trigonometric functions.

When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is useful when the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic expression, or when the integrand contains a sum or difference of two squares.

How do I perform a trigonometric substitution?

To perform a trigonometric substitution, you first identify which trigonometric function to substitute in for the variable. Then, you use a trigonometric identity to rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable. Finally, you solve the integral using standard integration techniques.

What are the common trigonometric substitutions?

The most common trigonometric substitutions are:
1. For expressions containing √(a²-x²): use x = a sinθ or x = a cosθ
2. For expressions containing √(a²+x²): use x = a tanθ or x = a cotθ
3. For expressions containing √(x²-a²): use x = a secθ or x = a cscθ

What are some tips for solving integrals using trigonometric substitution?

Some tips include:
1. Always choose the substitution that will make the integral simpler.
2. Use trigonometric identities to rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable.
3. Don't forget to substitute back for the original variable at the end.
4. Practice using different substitutions to become more familiar with the technique.
5. Check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.