Exploring the Speed of Electrons and Impulses in Newtons Cradle

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of electricity and electrons in a circuit, as well as the concept of impulse and the speed of sound in a Newton's cradle.
phlegmy
hey dudes

i read in a book that when an electric current flow that the electrons move preety slow [maybe 1mm/s I'm not sure]
now i also know electricity travels at the speed of light (ideally) so that an electron c*1s away will take 1s to start moving after i close the circuit

so i was thinking about a Newtons cradle
if the moving ball hits the next ball at say .05m/s and all the balls add up to .05m then obviously it won't take a full second for the last ball to move, so how fast does the "impulse"? move through the stationary balls . I've a feeling its the speed of sound (in the medium of the balls) is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is indeed the speed of sound.

I can confirm that the speed of electrons and impulses in a Newton's Cradle can be explored and measured. Firstly, it is important to note that electrons do indeed move quite slowly in a current, with an average speed of about 1mm/s. However, this does not mean that electricity itself travels at the same speed. In fact, electricity travels at the speed of light, which is much faster than the movement of individual electrons. This is because electricity is not just the movement of electrons, but rather the propagation of an electromagnetic wave.

Moving on to the Newton's Cradle, the speed at which the "impulse" travels through the stationary balls is not the speed of sound. The speed of sound is the speed at which a mechanical wave travels through a medium, such as air or water. In the case of a Newton's Cradle, the impulse is actually the transfer of kinetic energy from one ball to the next, which happens almost instantaneously. This transfer of energy is not limited by the speed of sound, but rather by the properties of the materials involved, such as the elasticity and mass of the balls.

In summary, the speed of electrons and impulses in a Newton's Cradle can be explored and measured using scientific principles. While the speed of electrons in a current may be slow, the speed of electricity as a whole is much faster. And in a Newton's Cradle, the transfer of energy through the balls is not limited by the speed of sound, but rather by the properties of the materials involved.

1. What is Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is a classic physics demonstration that consists of a series of suspended balls that are used to model the conservation of momentum and energy in a closed system.

2. How does Newton's Cradle work?

When one of the balls at the end is pulled back and released, it collides with the next ball, transferring its energy and momentum. This continues through the chain of balls, with the last ball swinging out and then back, mimicking the movement of the first ball.

3. What is the speed of electrons in Newton's Cradle?

The speed of electrons in Newton's Cradle is actually quite slow. This is because the balls in the demonstration are much larger and heavier than electrons, so they move at a slower pace. However, the demonstration still models the principles of momentum and energy transfer accurately.

4. How do impulses affect the movement of electrons in Newton's Cradle?

Impulses, or forces acting over a period of time, can affect the movement of the electrons in Newton's Cradle. When a ball collides with another, it creates an impulse that is transferred to the next ball, causing it to move. This continues through the chain of balls, demonstrating the transfer of impulses in a closed system.

5. What can be learned from exploring the speed of electrons and impulses in Newton's Cradle?

Exploring the speed of electrons and impulses in Newton's Cradle can help us understand the principles of momentum and energy transfer in a closed system. It also demonstrates the conservation of these quantities, as the total momentum and energy of the system remains constant throughout the demonstration.