Complicated Incline Question

• Thread starter tachu101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, the problem involves finding the spring constant (k) and velocity of a box attached to a spring on an incline plane. The variables include the incline angle, friction coefficient, and mass of the box. Using conservation of energy, the equation is set up as (initial mechanical energy) + (work done by friction) = (final mechanical energy). The work done by friction is negative and can be found by first finding the friction force. With friction, the spring constant is 92.1179 and the velocity at half way down the incline is 3.587 m/s. Without friction, the spring constant is 105.277. The equation for finding the spring constant is mgh=fs+1/
tachu101

Homework Statement

Given the incline plane, see picture, a box is let loose, attached to a spring in a relaxed position, the box moves down 2.75 meters. The variables: incline is at 32 degrees, the friction coefficient is .125 and the mass of the box is 17.4 kg. The length it slides is 2.75 meters.

t_Physicsscanm_752d229.png

Find the: spring constant (k) when friction is present?

spring constant (k) when friction is not present?

the velocity of the box when it is half way down the incline (so 1.375 meters)?

Homework Equations

The teacher said that I could use conservation of energy to solve this and said that I could set it up in the following way

Work(in)= (mass)(gravity)(height final -height initial)+(1/2)(mass)(vf^2-Vo^2)+(friction)(distance)+(1/2)(k)(change in spring position^2)

I think that the Work goes to 0 , the Initial Velocity goes to 0, and the initial spring position is 0 ---- so----

0= (mass)(gravity)(height final -height initial)+(1/2)(mass)(vf^2-0)+(friction)(distance)+(1/2)(k)(change in spring position^2)

Is there a less cluttered way of solving this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial height should be (2.75)(sin32)? Right?
The (distance) for the friction, and spring should be 2.75 because that is how far it goes?
Does the final velocity also go to 0, I am not sure about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have an idea on how to go about solving this question?

Perhaps it will be easier to apply conservation of energy if you think of it like this:
(initial mechanical energy) + (work done by friction) = (final mechanical energy)

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy, gravitational PE, and spring PE. The work done by friction (where it exists) will be negative.

To find the work done by friction, first find the friction force.

Can anyone else get the same answers as me ---

k with friction -- 92.1179
velocity half way -- 3.587 m/s
k without friction -- 105.277

Anyone?

Why don't you show exactly how you got your answers.

I have gotten to

mgh=fs+1/2kx^2 ---- so ---- (17.4)(9.81)(2.75cos32)=(.125(17.4)(9.81)cos32)(2.75)+(1/2)(k)(2.75)^2
SO k= 92.117

then

I replug it into
Work(in)= (mass)(gravity)(height final -height initial)+(1/2)(mass)(vf^2-Vo^2)+(friction)(distance)+(1/2)(k)(change in spring position^2)
To get a velocity of 3.587 m/s

Then to get without friction I just take friction out of the equation to get
mgh=1/2kx^2 where k then equals 105.277

tachu101 said:
I have gotten to

mgh=fs+1/2kx^2 ---- so ---- (17.4)(9.81)(2.75cos32)=(.125(17.4)(9.81)cos32)(2.75)+(1/2)(k)(2.75)^2
SO k= 92.117
The change in height should be 2.75*sin32, not cos32.

thank you I don't know what i was thinking there

1. What is a complicated incline question?

A complicated incline question is a physics problem that involves a sloped surface, or incline, and one or more objects moving on or along it. These types of questions often involve multiple forces acting on the objects and require the use of mathematical equations to solve.

2. How do you solve a complicated incline question?

To solve a complicated incline question, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object(s) on the incline. These forces may include gravity, friction, and normal force. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object(s). Finally, you can use these values to solve for the unknown variables in the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a complicated incline question?

Some common mistakes when solving complicated incline questions include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object(s), using incorrect equations or values, and not considering the direction of forces and accelerations. It is also important to pay attention to units and conversions when solving these types of problems.

4. Can you solve a complicated incline question without using math?

No, it is not possible to solve a complicated incline question without using math. These types of questions require the use of mathematical equations to calculate forces, accelerations, and other variables.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complicated incline questions?

Yes, complicated incline questions have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used to calculate the minimum force needed to push a heavy object up a ramp, determine the optimal angle for a ramp to make it easier to move objects, and design roller coasters and other amusement park rides.