Unlimited Possibilities: Theory Permutations

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, Wolram is proposing that if we take the principles and postulates of a theory as a set, then the subsets would be useful in determining how good that theory was. For example, if we have whatever theory as A = \{x,y,z\} for postulates x, y and z and x & y were verified experimentally but z was disproved, then we could examine the parts of that theory which contained as x and y as elements and throw away the bits with z in. This would then help the theory evolve rather than throwing the whole lot out. Marcus or somebody else would have to come in if Wolram has little knowledge in that area, embarrassingly.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If one takes a theory as a set ,there seems to be many sub sets that make that theory, and even sub set of sub sets, has anyone ever worked out the possible permutations that will keep a theory alive?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're proposing here Wolram. Are you saying that if we take the principles and postulates of a theory as a set, then the subsets would be useful in determining how good that theory was. For example if we have whatever theory as [itex] A = \{x,y,z\} [/itex] for postulates x, y and z and x & y were verified experimentally but z was disproved then we could examine the parts of that theory which contained as x and y as elements and throw away the bits with z in. This would then help the theory evolve rather than throwing the whole lot out?

Or am I off.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
I'm not sure what you're proposing here Wolram. Are you saying that if we take the principles and postulates of a theory as a set, then the subsets would be useful in determining how good that theory was. For example if we have whatever theory as [itex] A = \{x,y,z\} [/itex] for postulates x, y and z and x & y were verified experimentally but z was disproved then we could examine the parts of that theory which contained as x and y as elements and throw away the bits with z in. This would then help the theory evolve rather than throwing the whole lot out?

Or am I off.

Rather part z can be ambiguous, if for instance the WIMP is not found there are many candidates to take its place, so one goes to the next best candidate and if that one can not be found the next etc, etc, so my question is how many candidates are there for dark matter, which is just a sub set of the set, and how many candidates are there for the other sub sets of the set.

In that case I think this is where marcus or somebody else will have to come in since I have little knowledge in that area rather embarrassingly.

Why move this to GD?

1. What is the theory of unlimited possibilities?

The theory of unlimited possibilities, also known as theory permutations, is a scientific concept that suggests that there are an infinite number of potential outcomes or combinations for any given situation or event.

2. How does this theory impact scientific research?

This theory has a significant impact on scientific research as it encourages scientists to explore all possible options and outcomes rather than limiting their research to a few predetermined possibilities. It allows for more creativity and innovation in the scientific process.

3. Can you provide an example of how this theory has been applied in a scientific study?

One example of this theory being applied in a scientific study is in genetics research. By considering all possible combinations of genes and their effects, scientists can better understand and predict genetic traits and diseases.

4. Are there any limitations to this theory?

While the theory of unlimited possibilities is a valuable concept, it is important to note that it may not always be practical or feasible to consider every single permutation in every scientific study. Additionally, there may be limitations due to the resources, time, and technology available.

5. How does this theory tie into the concept of the multiverse?

The theory of unlimited possibilities is closely tied to the concept of the multiverse, which suggests that there are multiple parallel universes with different variations of reality. The theory of unlimited possibilities supports the idea that there are infinite possibilities and outcomes in the multiverse.