Decoding the Superiority of Synthetic Oil for Cold Start Engine Wear

• Thread starter bobbobwhite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, conventional oil is better for cold starting engines, but synthetics are superior in most other regards.
bobbobwhite
Molecules of conventional oil are of varying size and those of synthetics are of uniform size, so it seems illogical that synthetic oil would be superior to conventional for cold starting only, as the smaller molecules of conventional oil should be able to remain in tighter spaces that larger molecules may not fit into thus providing immediate and superior lubrication in those spaces upon cold starting. As synthetics are considered and proven superior to conventional oil in(most) tests regarding cold start engine wear, I would like an explanation.

Could someone expert in this explain exactly why synthetics are superior in just this one area when logic would make it seem not to be the case?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume your question relates to reciprocating engines?

'Tight spaces' you might encounter in an engine are far, far larger than the largest molecules found in synthetic oil, so there are no issues with molecules being unable to get into small spaces. Also, synthetic oils are subject to the same viscosity standards as mineral oils.

The simple reason for synthetics being better lubricants is because they have been engineered to be better. Synthetic oils can give advantages in engines by:

- Maintaining viscosity at temperature extremes. Mineral oils can get rather viscous below freezing (meaning your cold-start protection suffers) and very thin (and sometimes decomposing) at high temperatures during heavy operating conditions (right when your bearings need it most).

- Maintaining chemical composition by having fewer compounds which evaporate over time and under temperature

- Higher resistance to thermal breakdown and oxidation

Oil viscosity

As you seem to know what you are talking about...what process and/or ingredient(s)makes oils differ in viscosity? Is it chemical, physical or a catalystic process? Answer as detailed as possible please. Thanks.

I suppose synthetic engine oil is made in the same way as synthetic fuel through some kind of Fischer Tropsch process (which is a catalytic process converting CO and H2 into various hydrocarbons), with the viscosity being controlled by using blends of different resulting oils. More than that I do not know.

I presume that the viscosity of mineral oil is determined primarily by the fractional distilation point, but also by the additive packages introduced.

I'm sure there are some great websites out about this stuff. Have a look at the Mobil and Texaco sites.

About synthetic lubricants

I recently posted an http://kissaneasylum.typepad.com/synthetic_lubricants/2007/12/the-true-measur.html" that may answer the questions you have posed
Hope it's helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

What is synthetic oil?

Synthetic oil is a type of motor oil that is artificially made in a laboratory rather than being extracted from crude oil. It is composed of a mixture of chemical compounds that are designed to have specific properties and provide better performance for vehicles.

How is synthetic oil made?

Synthetic oil is made through a process called synthesizing, where chemical compounds are combined to create a substance with specific properties. These compounds are often derived from petrochemicals and can be manipulated to produce a high-performing oil with consistent quality.

What are the benefits of using synthetic oil?

There are several benefits to using synthetic oil, including improved engine performance, better protection against wear and tear, longer oil life, and improved fuel efficiency. It also performs better in extreme temperatures and is less prone to breakdown due to oxidation.

Is synthetic oil better than conventional oil?

It depends on the specific needs of your vehicle. While synthetic oil does offer several advantages, it is typically more expensive than conventional oil. However, if your vehicle requires a high-performance oil or operates in extreme conditions, synthetic oil may be a better option.

Can I switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil?

Yes, you can switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil. However, it is essential to consult your vehicle's owner's manual and follow the manufacturer's recommendations. In some cases, a gradual transition may be necessary to prevent any potential issues with seals or gaskets.