Particle projectile angle help

In summary, we are given a particle projected at an angle above the horizontal from a point on the edge of a table of height h standing on a horizontal floor. The particle reaches the floor at a point whose horizontal distance from the point of projection is 2h. We need to show that when it strikes the floor, the inclination below the horizontal of its direction of motion is given by tan(theta) = tan(alpha) + 1. By using the given equations and some simplification, we can derive this result.
sara_87

Homework Statement

A particle is projected at an angle alpha above the horizontal from a point on the edge of a table of height h standing on a horizontal floor. The particle reaches the floor at a point whose horizontal distance from the point of projection is 2h. Show that when it strikes the floor, the inclination theta below the horizontal of its direction of motion is given by

tan(theta) = tan(alpha) + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

okay i can manage to prove upto :

tan(theta) = tan(alpha) - gt/vi cos(alpha)

but i don't know what to do next... or rather what i do next doesn't make the fraction part equal 1

help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• q7.jpg
    q7.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this might help...

is the method correct?

Attachments

• q7 ans.jpg
    q7 ans.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 358
(I was not quite able to read all your calculations, so I’ll give you a derivation my way.)

I’m writing ‘a’ for alpha and ‘b’ for theta, for convenience. The total time is t. Also, I’m writing u for the initial velo and v for the final velo.

u(cos a)t = 2h => t = 2h(ucos a) ..(1).
[Also, u cos a = v cos b, since they’re horz components.]

v^2 = u^2 + 2gh => h = (v^2 –u^2)/2g ..(2)

The eqn for y is: y = u(sin a)t – (1/2)gt^2. Putting (-h) in place of y,

-h = u(sin a)t – (1/2)gt^2
-h = (u*sin a)2h/ucos a –(1/2)g *4h^2/(u^2 cos^2 a) (from 1 putting value of t)
-1 = 2tan a – 2gh/(ucos a)^2
-1 = 2tan a – [2g/(ucos a)^2]( v^2 –u^2)/2g (from 2 putting value of h)
-1 = 2tan a – (v^2 –u^2)/(ucos a)^2
-1 = 2tan a – v^2/(ucos a)^2 – u^2)/(ucos a)^2
-1 = 2tan a – v^2/(vcos b)^2 + u^2)/(ucos a)^2 (since ucos a = vcos b)
-1 = 2tan a – sec^2 b + sec^2 a [put sec^2 = 1 + tan^2]
tan^2 b = (tan a + 1)^2, after some simplification. So,

tan(theta) = tan(alpha) + 1, taking the +ve value.

Last edited:

1. What is the ideal angle for launching a particle projectile?

The ideal angle for launching a particle projectile depends on the specific scenario and goals of the experiment. In general, a launch angle between 30 and 45 degrees is recommended for achieving the maximum range.

2. How does the angle affect the trajectory of a particle projectile?

The angle at which a particle projectile is launched determines the initial velocity and direction of the projectile, which in turn affects its trajectory. A steeper angle will result in a higher initial velocity and a more parabolic trajectory, while a shallower angle will result in a lower initial velocity and a more linear trajectory.

3. Does air resistance have an impact on the ideal angle for a particle projectile?

Yes, air resistance can affect the ideal angle for launching a particle projectile. The presence of air resistance can decrease the maximum range and change the optimal launch angle, which may require experimentation or mathematical calculations to determine.

4. How do you calculate the angle needed to hit a specific target with a particle projectile?

To calculate the angle needed to hit a specific target, you will need to know the initial velocity, the distance to the target, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use trigonometric equations to determine the necessary launch angle for the particle projectile to reach the target.

5. Can the angle of a particle projectile be adjusted mid-flight?

In most experiments, the angle of a particle projectile cannot be adjusted mid-flight. However, certain technologies and advanced equipment may allow for the adjustment of the angle after the initial launch. It is important to carefully plan and consider all variables before launching a particle projectile to ensure accurate and consistent results.