Need Help with Homework? Solve Two Physics Problems with Expert Guidance

• Thread starter ukpclark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: The stone falls for 2.20 seconds. It takes 1/2 of a second for the stone to fall the 1.90 meters to the bottom of the well. So the time for the sound to travel from the top of the well to the bottom is 1.90 - 2.20 or 0.78 seconds. The depth of the well is 3.00 meters.
ukpclark
Need some Homework help PLEASE

1. Homework Statement (problem one i need help with)

A light string of mass 10.0 g and length L = 3.00 m has its ends tied to two walls that are separated by the distance D = 1.90 m. Two masses, each of mass m = 1.95 kg, are suspended from the string as in Figure P13.64. If a wave pulse is sent from point A, how long does it take to travel to point B?
Diagram is attached

I think you apply Newtons second law for equilibrim applied to the block and mass per unit length of the string is =M/L
Sqaure root of (1.95kg)(9.8m/s^2)/(10g)(1.90m)=62.6m/s

t=d/v=1.90m/62.6m/s

Problem 2 i need help with.

A stone is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is heard exactly 2.20 s later. Find the depth of the well if the air temperature is 12.0°C.

I have completed the rest of my webassign but i am completely lost on these two problems. I have pages of notes trying to solve the first problem but and totally lost on the second. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• diagram.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I need to see a diagram for #1 and work on both problems before I know how I can help you.

Hey, I'm assuming in your first problem a mass is hung from each side of the string? If so, think about what determines the speed of a pulse or wave in a given medium; that is, is determined by the force acting on the medium, or is it a parameter of the medium? What do the masses on the end of the string do to the string?

The second problem is best tackled in two parts. It is helpful to write out which equations you have at your disposal (in this case, the kinematic equations for motion in one dimension) and how many unknowns you're working with. If there are two unknowns, you'll need two separate expressions relating these two unknowns. As a hint, the speed of sound at varying temperatures can be found in your textbook.

Hope this helps.

ukpclark said:
I think you apply Newtons second law for equilibrim applied to the block and mass per unit length of the string is =M/L
Sqaure root of (1.95kg)(9.8m/s^2)/(10g)(1.90m)=62.6m/s

You have to find the tension in the string joining the two masses, and then apply the formula for speed of wave.

ukpclark said:
A stone is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is heard exactly 2.20 s later. Find the depth of the well if the air temperature is 12.0°C.

If t is the time for the stone to fall, then h = (1/2)gt^2. Now find the time for the sound to travel distance h in time (2.2 - t), and eliminate t to find h.

What is the best way to complete my homework effectively?

The best way to complete your homework effectively is to start early, create a schedule, and break down the tasks into smaller chunks. It is also important to eliminate distractions and find a quiet study space.

How can I manage my time better and avoid procrastination when it comes to homework?

To manage your time better and avoid procrastination, try setting specific goals and deadlines for each task, using a planner or calendar, and taking breaks in between studying. Prioritizing your tasks and breaking them down into manageable chunks can also help.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject in my homework?

If you are struggling with a particular subject in your homework, it may be helpful to seek additional resources such as tutoring, online tutorials, or study groups. You can also ask your teacher or a classmate for help and clarification. Don't be afraid to reach out for support when you need it.

How can I stay motivated to complete my homework?

Staying motivated to complete your homework can be challenging, but setting realistic goals, rewarding yourself after completing tasks, and taking breaks can help. It can also be helpful to remember the bigger picture and how completing your homework will benefit you in the long run.

Is it okay to ask for help with my homework?

Absolutely! Asking for help with your homework is not a sign of weakness, but rather a way to learn and improve. Don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher, peers, or other resources for assistance. Collaboration and seeking support are important skills to have as a student.