Electron moving in a betatron

• Thread starter raul_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the magnetic flux through an electron's orbit increases by 5Wb every second. In order for the electron to gain 25MeV of energy, it has to complete approximately 41 million orbits, which is about 8000km in total distance. This can be solved using Faraday's Law and classical equations.
raul_l

Homework Statement

The magnetic flux through the orbit of an electron increases by 5Wb every second. The electron is accelerated to the point where its energy is 25MeV. Electron's orbit has a radius of 25cm. How many orbits does the electron have to complete in order to gain that much energy?

Homework Equations

[tex] F=qvB [/tex]
[tex] B=\frac{\Phi}{S} [/tex]

[tex] a=\frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]
[tex] F=ma [/tex]
[tex] m=\frac{m_{e}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

[tex] E=\frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{d\Phi}{dt}=5 \Rightarrow \Phi (t)=5t [/tex]

[tex] F=q_{e}vB [/tex]
[tex] F=ma=\frac{m_{e}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

The Lorentz force and the centripetal force should be equal and in opposite directions, therefore [tex] q_{e}vB(t)=ma=\frac{m_{e}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\frac{v^2}{r} [/tex] where [tex] B(t)=\frac{\Phi(t)}{S}=\frac{5t}{\pi r^2} [/tex]

I get [tex] q_{e}v5t=\frac{m_{e}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]
and therefore [tex] v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{m_{e}^2 \pi^2 r^2}{25q_{e}^2 t^2}+\frac{1}{c^2}}} [/tex]

Since I now have v(t) and I know the final speed of the electron (since I know the final energy) I could also derive t(v) and see how long it would take for an electron to accelerate to this point.
Eventually I would get the answer by solving this equation:

[tex] s=\int_{0}^{t_{final}}v(t)dt [/tex]

I know that the answer should be about 8000km which is about 41 million orbits. So far I haven't got even close to that. I can't seem to find any mistakes in my equations nor have I found any conceptual flaws.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
raul_l said:
The magnetic flux through the orbit of an electron increases by 5Wb every second. The electron is accelerated to the point where its energy is 25MeV. Electron's orbit has a radius of 25cm. How many orbits does the electron have to complete in order to gain that much energy?

Here's a thought. When you gave the rate of magnetic flux change, I considered using Faraday's Law. You still would do this, but it's not so fancy. (It helps that the orbit radius is held fixed.)

Consider that Wb/sec = T·(m^2)/sec ; since T = N/(A·m) , then Wb/sec = J/(A·sec) = J/C = V . (Actually, Faraday's Law also says as much directly). So the electron is effectively starting "from rest" and experiences a 5 V emf on each orbit (from the line integral of E·ds along the circle). How many orbits does it take to gain 25 MeV of kinetic energy and what total distance is that? (BTW, for the radius you cite, 41·10^6 circuits of the fixed circle is not 8000 km.)

Oh, and you should be all right solving this classically: 25 MeV of kinetic energy barely brings the Lorentz factor to 1.05...

Last edited:

I would suggest checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are accurate. It is also important to consider any external factors that may affect the electron's acceleration, such as energy loss due to radiation or collisions with other particles. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or conduct further research to see if there are any other variables or factors that need to be taken into account.

1. What is a betatron?

A betatron is a device used to accelerate electrons to high energies through the use of a magnetic field. It is commonly used in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. How does an electron move in a betatron?

Electrons in a betatron move in a circular path due to the presence of a strong magnetic field. The magnetic field causes the electrons to experience a force, known as the Lorentz force, which changes the direction of their motion and keeps them in a circular orbit.

3. What is the purpose of a betatron?

The main purpose of a betatron is to accelerate electrons to high energies for the purpose of studying subatomic particles. It can also be used for medical purposes, such as in radiation therapy for cancer treatment.

4. Is the electron's speed constant in a betatron?

No, the electron's speed in a betatron is not constant. As the electron moves in a circular path, it experiences acceleration due to the changing magnetic field. This causes its speed to increase until it reaches the desired energy level.

5. How is the magnetic field created in a betatron?

The magnetic field in a betatron is created by passing a high-frequency electric current through a coil of wire. This produces an oscillating magnetic field that is used to accelerate the electrons.