Frictional Force Block Problem-VERY EASY But need HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving frictional force and two opposing forces, with the ultimate goal of determining the net force on the block. It is mentioned that the frictional force must be less than 2 N due to the presence of friction. The conversation also touches on some Internet forum terminology and etiquette.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Frictional Force Block Problem---VERY EASY But need HELP!

Homework Statement

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let me put it into simple terms that i understand haha

u got a force pushing it this way ----> that is 5 N strong

and a force pushing it this way <---- that is 3 N strong

so it should be going to the rightat 2 N but since there is friction it is actually less than 2 N! (between 0 and 2 depending on friction)

doesnt seem like it...shrug ur shoulders and scoff at whoever made that question and hope that your scoffing is deserved...cuz if its not...then u just look like a moron ahahah

I'm no expert but it seems to me that right answer is not present. **shrug**

physicsbhelp said:
A block moves with constant velocity on a horizontal surface.

Here's the key point: if the block is moving at a constant velocity, what is the net force on it? Carpe Mori pointed out what the two known forces do, so what must the frictional force be? [The answer is among the choices given, and it is not (d).]

o hahah i got it...it is asking for the frictional force not the net force acting on cube.

dyanamicsolo explained it well enough u should be able to figure it out now

physicsbhelp said:
? is that right

I believe it would be.

BTW, you don't need to submit another post to ask this question: you can edit your previous post. Please also don't "bump" threads -- people who are actively helping will check for post updates, so it isn't necessary to noodge them...

physicsbhelp said:
what do u mean by bump?

In (some) Internet forum parlance, "bumping a thread" means adding a post for the purpose of moving the thread heading to the top of the listing of active threads in the forum. (I guess if you didn't know what that was, that wasn't why you did it...)

In any event, a lot of the helpers can view the list of threads they are involved with in their User Control Panel (note the link "User CP" at the top left corner of the forum "page"). If a thread has been added to since the last time they checked, the heading will appear in boldface, so they know right away that someone has responded. (We are [usually] watching out for you here...)

1. What is frictional force in a block problem?

Frictional force is the force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, caused by the contact between two surfaces. In a block problem, it is the force that opposes the motion of the block.

2. How do you calculate frictional force in a block problem?

Frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (µ) by the normal force (N) acting on the object. The formula for frictional force is F = µN.

3. What factors affect the frictional force in a block problem?

The frictional force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force, and the coefficient of friction. The roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, as well as the weight and angle of the block, can also affect the frictional force.

4. How does frictional force affect the motion of a block?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the block's motion, which means it can either slow down or stop the block's movement. In some cases, frictional force can also cause the block to move in the opposite direction if the applied force is not strong enough to overcome it.

5. How can frictional force be reduced in a block problem?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the weight or angle of the block, or using smoother surfaces, can also decrease the frictional force.