Entropy change of an irreversible process

In summary, the entropy change in a closed system can be zero for an irreversible process, but only if the process is reversible. Otherwise, it will always be greater than zero.
supermesh
Can entropy change be zero for a closed system in an irreversible process? If yes under what conditions? Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
As far as classical thermodynamics is concerned, the entropy change will always be zero for an irreversible process in a closed system.

I am shocked!

While browsing through some old posts, I stumbled upon this, and I got a terrible shock. :eek: I had made a typo and nobody had commented on it. My apologies to the OP. What I had meant to write was:

As far as classical thermodynamics is concerned, the entropy change will always be greater than zero for an irreversible process in a closed system, and zero for a reversible process in a closed system.

1. What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work during a process.

2. How is entropy change calculated?

For an irreversible process, entropy change can be calculated using the formula ΔS = ∫ dq/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, dq is the infinitesimal amount of heat transferred, and T is the temperature of the system.

3. What causes an increase in entropy change?

An increase in entropy change can be caused by factors such as an increase in temperature, an increase in the number of particles in a system, or an increase in disorder or randomness.

4. Is entropy change always positive?

For an irreversible process, entropy change is always positive. This is because irreversible processes are characterized by an overall increase in disorder or randomness, which results in a positive change in entropy.

5. How does entropy change relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase. This means that in an irreversible process, the entropy change will always be positive, as the overall disorder or randomness of the system increases.