Lagrangian of System w/ 2 M masses & Rigid Rod - Physics Homework

In summary, two masses, m1 and m2, are hung from a point, P, by two strings, L1 and L2, and connected by a rod, length D. The angle between the strings is theta and the angle between L2 and the horizontal line through P is Phi. The Lagrangian formula is used to calculate the potential and kinetic energy, and the derivative of the position equations can be used to find the velocities. By setting up Phi as the generalized coordinate, the problem can be solved for the given masses and lengths of the strings.
bamftyk

Homework Statement

two masses, m1 and m2, are hung from a point, P, by two string, L1 and L2, the masses are connected by a rod, length D, of negligible mass. The angle between the strings is theta, the angle between L2 and horizontal line through P is Phi. so essentially it looks like a hanger with a mass at both ends of it.

Homework Equations

The formula for the Lagrangian is simply L=T-U, where T and U are the Potential and Kinetic energy.
To find the energy I'm going to need velocity's which I think I can get by taking the Derivative of the position equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to use phi as my generalized coordinate, and if this were a simple pendulum I think this problem would be pretty easy, you take the derivative of your position equations to get velocity then use T=1/2MV^2 and U=mgh and then plug and chug. With this problem having two masses separated by a rigid rod I'm completely stumped on how to go about this. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the triangle, theta will remain constant. Draw the diagram. L1 and L2 are the lengths of the strings.

T = ½ I1w1^2 + ½ I2w2^2 = ½ m1*L1^2(dphi/dt) + ½ m2*L2^2(dphi/dt), since theta is a const.

V = -m1h1 – m2h2 = -mL1sin phi – mL2 sin (phi + theta).

Now you can set up L as phi as the only generalized co-ordinate.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the system and its components. In this case, the system consists of two masses (m1 and m2), a rigid rod (length D), and two strings (L1 and L2) connecting the masses to a fixed point P.

Next, I would define the generalized coordinates for this system. As mentioned in the problem statement, I would use phi as the generalized coordinate, which represents the angle between L2 and the horizontal line through P.

Then, I would use the Lagrangian formula, L=T-U, to calculate the total energy of the system. The potential energy, U, can be calculated by considering the gravitational potential energy of both masses relative to the fixed point P. The kinetic energy, T, can be calculated by considering the rotational kinetic energy of the system, as the masses are connected by a rigid rod.

To find the velocities needed for the kinetic energy calculation, I would take the derivative of the position equations for each mass with respect to time. This will give me the angular velocities of each mass, which can then be used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy.

Once I have the total energy of the system, I can use the equations of motion (Euler-Lagrange equations) to find the equations of motion for each mass. These equations will describe the motion of each mass as a function of time.

In summary, to solve this problem, I would first identify the system and its components, define the generalized coordinates, use the Lagrangian formula to calculate the total energy, and then use the equations of motion to find the equations of motion for each mass.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod?

The Lagrangian of a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod is a mathematical expression that represents the total kinetic and potential energy of the system. It is denoted by the symbol L and is given by L = T - U, where T is the total kinetic energy and U is the total potential energy of the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod calculated?

The Lagrangian of a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod is calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energy terms of each particle in the system. The kinetic energy term is given by 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. The potential energy term is given by mgh, where m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the particle.

3. What is the importance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is an important concept in physics as it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of a system in terms of its energy rather than forces. This approach is known as the Lagrangian formalism and is often more efficient and elegant than the traditional Newtonian mechanics approach.

4. How does the Lagrangian of a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod change if external forces are applied?

If external forces are applied to the system, the Lagrangian will include an additional term for the work done by these forces. This term is given by Fd, where F is the magnitude of the force and d is the displacement produced by the force. In this case, the Lagrangian will be L = T - U + Fd.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to solve equations of motion for a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to solve the equations of motion for a system with 2 masses and a rigid rod. By applying the principle of least action, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, the Lagrangian can be used to derive the equations of motion for the system. These equations can then be solved to determine the motion of the system over time.