Why is post-ejaculation causing itching and redness for my husband?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jekertee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, a user suggests trying non-latex condoms as the husband may have a slight allergy to latex. However, they warn that non-latex condoms may not fully protect against sexually transmitted infections. Alternatives to latex include polyurethane condoms, but they may slip off more easily. It is also mentioned that there are other methods to secure polyurethane condoms in place, but it is not discussed due to concerns about attracting spammers. Additionally, the use of spermicide on condoms is discussed, but it is noted that it may not be fully effective in preventing pregnancy or STIs and should only be used as a back-up method. It is advised to read and follow package instructions for maximum effectiveness.
Jekertee
I have married for a year, and I am sick, so my husband has to use a condom when having sex with me. But after he ejaculates and withdraws his penis out of the condom, his penis becomes really itchy and red. He is from America and he is fully circumsized.
He actually was advised to visit a doctor already but the result was negative. Although I think it is fine to continue like this but as a wife I think I should help learn something about this too.

Could anyone tell me about this strange problem of post-ejaculation ?
Thanks
Joang

Biology news on Phys.org
Try using a non latex condom, sounds like a slight allergy, which is fairly common.

thanks I know it now

Be careful though because depending on why you use condoms, non-latex ones like sheeps skin do not fully protect the wearer. If your illness is transmitted sexually, animal skin condoms do not protect.

loush said:
Be careful though because depending on why you use condoms, non-latex ones like sheeps skin do not fully protect the wearer. If your illness is transmitted sexually, animal skin condoms do not protect.

Along those lines, the other alternative to latex are polyurethane condoms. They do protect against the same diseases as latex condoms, but you should be aware they tend to slip off a lot more easily, so care must be taken that they stay on...if it comes off, it's not protecting anyone from anything, obviously.

Yeah... those polyurethane things are very unsettling.
When my local drug store didn't have them, and the girl that I was hanging out with was allergic to latex, my pharmacist suggested wearing a latex condom inside of a sheepskin one. That would give protection from both STD's and her latex allergy. Unfortunately, her sudden realization that I was a fair bit older than her mother precluded the opportunity to test that out. :redface:

Okay, folks, let's stay on topic with this thread (a bunch of off-topic conversation has been deleted).

There is a method I'm aware of that can help secure the polyurethane condoms in place better than they stay on their own, but am hesitant about mentioning/discussing that particular approach on the public forum because it requires an "accessory" that isn't traditionally considered for use as a contraceptive aid, and I don't want to attract all the spammers who would pick up on that as a keyword. For anyone in need of legitimate suggestions, I can certainly provide that information via Private Message.

I think a wise preventative are the condoms that include a spermacide, so even if it slips off, there is less to worry about.

Evo said:
I think a wise preventative are the condoms that include a spermacide, so even if it slips off, there is less to worry about.

The spermicide on condoms isn't really adequate if they slip off. It's really more useful for the one or two "strays" that might have wound up on the wrong side of the condom by improper application or waiting too long to put it on. The reason that it's not adequate is that 1) it's really very little spermicide, and 2) spermicide needs time to coat the cervix to be in the right place to be effective if used as a primary contraceptive (i.e., when the condom falls off and there's no other barrier). And, of course it has absolutely no function in disease prevention.

For those who use a spermicidal jelly as a contraceptive, it should be applied 15 min to a half hour in advance to sufficiently coat the cervix and be maximally effective (take time to read the package instructions BEFORE you need it). Applying it just before intercourse is not going to be fully effective. It's a good back-up if used appropriately, just don't rely on the spermicide on the condoms themselves.

Moonbear said:
The spermicide on condoms isn't really adequate if they slip off. It's really more useful for the one or two "strays" that might have wound up on the wrong side of the condom by improper application or waiting too long to put it on. The reason that it's not adequate is that 1) it's really very little spermicide, and 2) spermicide needs time to coat the cervix to be in the right place to be effective if used as a primary contraceptive (i.e., when the condom falls off and there's no other barrier). And, of course it has absolutely no function in disease prevention.

For those who use a spermicidal jelly as a contraceptive, it should be applied 15 min to a half hour in advance to sufficiently coat the cervix and be maximally effective (take time to read the package instructions BEFORE you need it). Applying it just before intercourse is not going to be fully effective. It's a good back-up if used appropriately, just don't rely on the spermicide on the condoms themselves.
Good to know, I thought the spermacide in the condom helped kill the sperm inside the condom.

1. What causes itching and redness after ejaculation for my husband?

The most common cause of itching and redness after ejaculation is an allergic reaction to semen, also known as post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS). This can be triggered by proteins or other substances present in semen.

2. Is this condition common?

POIS is a rare condition and the exact prevalence is unknown. However, it is estimated that less than 1% of men experience this type of allergic reaction to semen.

3. Can this condition be treated?

Unfortunately, there is currently no known cure for POIS. However, symptoms can be managed through avoidance of semen exposure or with antihistamines or other medications prescribed by a doctor.

4. Are there any other potential causes for these symptoms?

In rare cases, itching and redness after ejaculation may be a symptom of a sexually transmitted infection or other underlying medical condition. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider for proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. Can this condition affect a couple's sex life?

POIS can have a significant impact on a couple's sex life, as it can cause discomfort or even pain for the affected partner. It is important for couples to communicate openly and work together to find ways to manage symptoms and maintain a fulfilling sexual relationship.