How is internal resistance of a cell related to temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature and internal resistance in a cell. It is mentioned that according to the Nernst Equation, the EMF of a cell is inversely proportional to temperature, which suggests that the resistance of the cell decreases with increasing temperature. However, it is also pointed out that the formula for internal resistance cannot be used to determine the effect of temperature unless the current and terminal potential are measured. It is also mentioned that increasing temperature leads to more ions being available in the cell, resulting in an increase in conductance and a decrease in resistance. Finally, it is noted that Mr VI found information online that supports the idea that internal resistance decreases with increasing temperature.
Mr Virtual
Relevant equations

int rest =emf - terminal potential / current
or
r=E-V/I

The attempt at a solution

Since Emf of a cell is inversely proportional to temp (From Nernst Equation of Emf of a cell), from the above equation, if temp is high, E is low, therefore r is low. So, acc. to me,
r decreases with increase in temp. But obviously, if E is decreasing, this must mean that r has increased. I am confused. Please help.

Edit: If we think in terms of solutions, then dissociation increases on heating, which means more ions available in cell, which means increase in conductance, which leads to the conclusion that resistance of the cell decreases with increase in temp.

Mr V

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found out on the net that internal resistance decreases with increase in temperature.

Mr Virtual said:
Relevant equations

int rest =emf - terminal potential / current
or
r=E-V/I

it's r = (E-V)/I

and I and V do not remain constant if you change the temperature. I don;t think you can
use this formula to see what happens to R unless you measure I and V.

1. What is internal resistance of a cell?

The internal resistance of a cell refers to the opposition to the flow of electrical current within the cell itself. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the cell's construction and the chemical reactions that occur within the cell.

2. How does temperature affect the internal resistance of a cell?

As temperature increases, the internal resistance of a cell also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the chemical reactions within the cell occur at a faster rate, leading to a higher rate of electron flow and an increase in internal resistance.

3. What is the relationship between internal resistance and temperature?

The relationship between internal resistance and temperature is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, the internal resistance of a cell also increases, and vice versa.

4. How can changes in internal resistance affect the performance of a cell?

Changes in internal resistance can significantly impact the performance of a cell. If the internal resistance increases, it can lead to a decrease in the cell's voltage and power output, resulting in decreased efficiency and performance.

5. Can internal resistance be controlled in a cell?

Internal resistance cannot be controlled directly, but it can be managed by controlling the temperature of the cell. Keeping the cell at a lower temperature can reduce the internal resistance and improve the cell's performance.