Confused about Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a spaceship traveling at a constant speed of 0.5c to Alpha Centauri and back, while also considering a radio message sent from Earth to the spaceship. The conversation includes drawing a spacetime diagram and determining the time at which the radio message reaches the spaceship. The overall discussion involves considering relativity and its effects on time and space.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

Suppose that we send a spaceship on a trip to Alpha Centauri, 4 light years away. The spaceship travels at a constant speed of .5c, it stops at Alpha C. for 1 year and then it returns to the Earth at constant speed .5c.
a. Draw a spacetime Diagram with axes x,ct and plot the worldine of the spaceship.
b. suppose that 1 year after the departure of the spaceship we send a radio message from Earth to the spaceship. Plot the worldline of the radio signal.
c. At what time does it reach the spaceship?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
ct
|\
| .\
| .. \
| ... |
| .. /
| ./
|/________________x
where the angle between the ct and x-axis is given by

theta = arctan(.5)

b.)I drew a cone with an angle of 45 between the ct and x axis.
c.) this is what I'm confused about. I'm not sure if I have to take relativity into account since c is the same in all reference frames. So, my answer is 1 year after the message is sent.

Can anyone please tell me if any of this is right? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone have any ideas? I'm still really confused about this one. The only things that we've gone over so far are the basic Gallilean transformations and Lorentz transformations. But, i just don't see how either of them would help here. Once again, if anyone could offer any guidance or feedback I would really appreciate it.

Your diagram for part a looks correct, with the angle between ct and x-axis being arctan(0.5) = 26.6 degrees.

For part b, the radio signal will also travel at the speed of light, so it will have a worldline that is a straight line at a 45 degree angle from the ct-axis. This means that the radio signal will reach the spaceship at the same time that it was sent, which is 1 year after the spaceship's departure.

In special relativity, time is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. However, the speed of light is always constant in all frames of reference. This means that the time it takes for the radio signal to reach the spaceship will be the same in both the Earth's frame of reference and the spaceship's frame of reference. Therefore, 1 year after the spaceship's departure is the correct answer.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had about special relativity. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with it over time.

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special Relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and the behavior of objects moving at or near the speed of light. It also replaces the concept of absolute time with the idea of relative time, where time can appear to pass differently for observers in different frames of reference.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass more slowly for objects that are moving at high speeds. This is a result of the constant speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity, meaning that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference.

4. Can Special Relativity be experimentally proven?

Yes, many experiments have been conducted that support the principles of Special Relativity. One of the most well-known is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is the same in all directions and does not depend on the motion of the observer. Other experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, have also confirmed the predictions of Special Relativity.

5. How does Special Relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, as it has led to the development of other theories such as General Relativity, which explains the effects of gravity. It has also been used to explain phenomena such as the behavior of particles at high speeds and the bending of light around massive objects. Special Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of space and time and continues to play a significant role in modern physics.