Angular velocity and energy lost due to friction

In summary, the problem is that four 25kg children sit suddenly on the edge of the merry go round and cause it to spin more quickly. The new angular speed is 0.17 rad/s and the total energy lost to friction is 10 kgm^2rev/s.
mossman

Homework Statement

the problem is: A 3.0 m diameter merry go round with rotational inertia 120kgm^2 is spinning freely at 0.50 rev/s. Four 25kg children sit suddenly on the edge of the merry go round. a) Find th new angular speed, and b) detrmine the total energy lost to friction between the children and merry go round.

Homework Equations

conservation of angular momentum = L_initial = L_final
angular momentum = Iomega^2
conservation of rotational mechanical energy = KE_final - KE_initial = 0 + W_nonconservative

The Attempt at a Solution

So, r = 1.5m, I_wheel = 120 kgm^2, omega_wheel = 0.5 rev/s, and since when the children jump onto the wheel, we can treat them as a particle of the whole system of the wheel and children, so we take the distance of the children from the center of the wheel, so I_kids=25*4*1.5^2, I_kids = 225kgm^2, and since there is no external torque, angular momentum is conserved, so we use L_initial = L_final, so L_initial = I_wheel*omega_wheel, and L_final = (I_kids+I_wheel)*omega_final, so L_final = (225+120)*omega_final = 120*0.5 = 60kgm^2rad/s, so 345omega_final = 60, omega_final = 60/345 = 0.17 rad/s, and so now we can use the conservation of rotational energy, W_net = W_conservative + W_nonconservative = KE_final - KE_initial = 0 + W_nonconservative, so 345*(0.17)^2/2 - 120*(.5)^2/2 = W_nc = 5 - 15 = -10 kgm^2rev/s, so 10 kgm^2rev/s of energy is lost, if we convert it to radians we get -10kgm^2rev/s*2Pirad/1rev = -20_Pi_kgm^2rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
mossman said:
So, r = 1.5m, I_wheel = 120 kgm^2, omega_wheel = 0.5 rev/s, and since when the children jump onto the wheel, we can treat them as a particle of the whole system of the wheel and children, so we take the distance of the children from the center of the wheel, so I_kids=25*4*1.5^2, I_kids = 225kgm^2, and since there is no external torque, angular momentum is conserved, so we use L_initial = L_final, so L_initial = I_wheel*omega_wheel, and L_final = (I_kids+I_wheel)*omega_final, so L_final = (225+120)*omega_final = 120*0.5 = 60kgm^2rad/s

mossman said:
A 3.0 m diameter merry go round with rotational inertia 120kgm^2 is spinning freely at 0.50 rev/s.

0.5 rev/s (Hz) is the frequency, not the angular velocity. [tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex].

otherwise everything else is correct?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, which is the change in position of an object as it rotates around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity related to energy?

Angular velocity is directly related to the kinetic energy of a rotating object. The faster an object rotates, the higher its angular velocity and the more kinetic energy it possesses.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, Δθ is the change in angular displacement in radians, and Δt is the change in time in seconds.

4. How does friction affect angular velocity?

Friction can cause a decrease in angular velocity by converting some of the kinetic energy of a rotating object into heat energy. This energy loss due to friction is known as rotational friction or torque.

5. Can energy lost due to friction be recovered?

In theory, energy lost due to friction can be recovered by applying an external force to the rotating object. However, in most cases, the energy lost due to friction is converted into heat energy and cannot be fully recovered.