Grade 12 Physics Student Seeking Experiment Ideas

In summary, a high school student is seeking ideas for a physics lab or experiment that investigates a relationship between two variables or determines a physical constant. The student is open to ideas related to kinematics, light, sound, waves, energy, or a mix of any. They have considered launching projectiles and using magnets, such as creating a model maglev train or conducting a pendulum experiment. They have also mentioned a website, "practical physics . org", as a potential source of inspiration.
nelsonphysics
Hi everyone, I'm a grade 12 high school student taking Physics and I'm looking into some ideas for my final project.

The idea is to come up with a physics lab/experiment that investigates a relationship (that can be graphed) between two variables or the determination of a physical constant.
it can to relate to either kinematics, light, sound, waves, energy, or a mix of any.

I've thought of some generic things like launching projectiles and so forth, but i just want to get some other ideas to think about.

Shouldn't be to crazy, as i don't have a lot of materials, but just some original ideas.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
A bog standard pendulum experiment. Very easy and reaps the marks.

Fun can always be had with magnets, as well. Maybe a small model maglev train? (Not necessarily moving along the rail, but demonstrating the lift principle.)

I'm not allowed to post links yet, however there is a website I use which features a wealth of experiements which you can find if you google "practical physics . org". I expect you could find some inspiration on there.

1. What are some simple and inexpensive experiments that a Grade 12 Physics student can do?

Some simple and inexpensive experiments for a Grade 12 Physics student may include measuring the acceleration due to gravity using a pendulum, investigating the relationship between force and distance using a spring scale, and testing the conservation of energy using a simple pulley system.

2. How can a Grade 12 Physics student come up with original experiment ideas?

One way for a Grade 12 Physics student to come up with original experiment ideas is by observing their surroundings and thinking about how certain phenomena can be explained using the principles of physics. They can also research current advancements in the field of physics and try to replicate or build upon them in their experiments.

3. Are there any safety precautions that a Grade 12 Physics student should take when conducting experiments?

Yes, it is important for a Grade 12 Physics student to always wear appropriate safety gear such as goggles and gloves when handling potentially hazardous materials. They should also carefully read and follow all instructions and safety guidelines provided for each experiment.

4. Can a Grade 12 Physics student collaborate with others on their experiments?

Yes, collaboration can be beneficial for a Grade 12 Physics student when conducting experiments. They can work with other students to share ideas, divide tasks, and gather different perspectives on the results. They can also seek guidance from their teachers or mentors for further assistance.

5. How can a Grade 12 Physics student ensure the accuracy of their experimental results?

To ensure the accuracy of experimental results, a Grade 12 Physics student should carefully calibrate their instruments, take multiple measurements, and calculate averages. They should also consider sources of error and take steps to minimize them. Seeking feedback from teachers or conducting repeated trials can also help improve the accuracy of results.