How Can I Prove This Second Order Derivative Equation in Trigonometry?

• Thread starter physixguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary,The Indian Institute of Technology student was trying to solve a trigo problem, but was having trouble. He found an easier way to solve it using complex exponential math.
physixguru
Been doing calculus all my life , that's why i am at the Indian Institute of Technology:shy:..
but never faced a headache like this...

Prove that:

If x=cos theta and y = sin^3 theta

then [d^2y/dx^2] + [dy/dx]^2 = 3sin^2 theta [ 5 cos ^2 theta -1 ]

My side:

dx/d theta = -sin theta
dy/d theta = 3 sin^2 theta cos theta
>> {dy/dx}== -3 sin theta cos theta

now d^2y/dx^2= -3 [ cos^2 theta - sin ^2 theta ]* 1/-sin theta

moving with the give expression...

3cos^2 theta-3 sin^2 theta/sin theta + 9 sin^2 theta cos^2 theta

Spent a lot of time...cud not get anywhere...:grumpy:
Am i messing up the trigo functions?:frown:

This is not a homework question. I don't have to do homework anymore.I work in a MNC.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've never faced a "headache" like that? Use trig identities.

Please be a bit more clear.Even a moron knows that you got to use trigo identities.Its no rocket science!

Ok, I'm going to assume you didn't make any algebra/differentiation mistakes so far (I didn't check)
If that is the case, then you are starting here:

And you want to get here:
3sin^2 theta [ 5 cos ^2 theta -1 ]

I would write each expression in terms of complex exponentials, then multiply all the exponentials out completely, working both backwards and forwards simultaneously. Then when your results meet in the middle, rearrange your steps to go from where you started to where you finished.

Here is a small (easier) example of this strategy in action: Say we want to show [itex]cos^2\left(x\right) = 1-sin^2\left(x\right)[/tex]
Working forwards:
[tex]cos^2\left(x\right)=\left(\frac{e^{i x}+e^{-i x}}{2}\right)^2=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}[/tex]
Now hold that thought while we work backwards...

Working backwards:
[tex]1-sin^2\left(x\right) = 1-\left(\frac{e^{i x}-e^{-i x}}{2 i}\right)^2=1-\frac{e^{2 i x}-2+e^{-2 i x}}{-4}=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}[/tex]

Then to write the final proof, you would just rearrange the steps:
[tex]cos^2\left(x\right)=\left(\frac{e^{i x}+e^{-i x}}{2}\right)^2=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}=1-\frac{e^{2 i x}-2+e^{-2 i x}}{-4}=1-\left(\frac{e^{i x}-e^{-i x}}{2 i}\right)^2=1-sin^2\left(x\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
maze said:
Ok, I'm going to assume you didn't make any algebra/differentiation mistakes so far (I didn't check)
If that is the case, then you are starting here:

And you want to get here:
3sin^2 theta [ 5 cos ^2 theta -1 ]

I would write each expression in terms of complex exponentials, then multiply all the exponentials out completely, working both backwards and forwards simultaneously. Then when your results meet in the middle, rearrange your steps to go from where you started to where you finished.

Here is a small (easier) example of this strategy in action: Say we want to show [itex]cos^2\left(x\right) = 1-sin^2\left(x\right)[/tex]
Working forwards:
[tex]cos^2\left(x\right)=\left(\frac{e^{i x}+e^{-i x}}{2}\right)^2=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}[/tex]
Now hold that thought while we work backwards...

Working backwards:
[tex]1-sin^2\left(x\right) = 1-\left(\frac{e^{i x}-e^{-i x}}{2 i}\right)^2=1-\frac{e^{2 i x}-2+e^{-2 i x}}{-4}=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}[/tex]

Then to write the final proof, you would just rearrange the steps:
[tex]cos^2\left(x\right)=\left(\frac{e^{i x}+e^{-i x}}{2}\right)^2=\frac{e^{2 i x} + 2 + e^{-2 i x}}{4}=1-\frac{e^{2 i x}-2+e^{-2 i x}}{-4}=1-\left(\frac{e^{i x}-e^{-i x}}{2 i}\right)^2=1-sin^2\left(x\right)[/tex]

Dear maze, thanks a lot for your efforts and spending your precious time on the problem.
Your method is really impressive and shows your multidimensional thinking.But the problem is that the method you supplied is a lengthy one and can be extremely confusing in long trigo expressions like mine is the case.I would like a simple approach.

What is a second-order derivative?

A second-order derivative is the rate of change of a first-order derivative. It represents the acceleration or curvature of a function at a specific point.

How is a second-order derivative calculated?

To calculate a second-order derivative, you take the derivative of the first-order derivative. This can be done by using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule.

What is the significance of a second-order derivative?

The second-order derivative provides information about the concavity and curvature of a function. It can help determine the maximum and minimum points of a function and whether it is increasing or decreasing at a specific point.

What is the difference between a first-order and second-order derivative?

A first-order derivative represents the slope of a function at a specific point, while a second-order derivative represents the rate of change of the first-order derivative. In other words, the second-order derivative measures the change in slope.

How is a second-order derivative used in real-world applications?

A second-order derivative is used in various fields, such as physics and engineering, to analyze motion and predict the behavior of systems. It is also used in economics to determine the rate of change of a function, such as the rate of inflation. Additionally, it can be used in data analysis to identify patterns and trends in data.