Is there a description of collapse in QFT ?

In summary: In the case of a field with one particle, the collapse occurs simultaneously in all reference frames.
dreynaud
In QM we have the postulate of measure giving rise to the notion of wave function collapse throught measurement.

Is there an analog description of collapse in QFT (even an effective one) ? And what is then collapsing ? The field ? What would that mean ?

I'm interested for references on the subject.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The postulate you're talking about applies to all quantum mechanical theories, including quantum field theories. A "collapse" is a projection of the state vector onto an eigenstate. The only mechanism I have heard of that offers some sort of explanation is decoherence. The idea is that interactions with the environment select a particular basis of the Hilbert space and make the density operator almost diagonal in that basis. Note that this isn't really a collapse. A collapse would be represented by a density matrix that's exactly diagonal.

Yes I know some things about decoherence.
In the idealized case where density matrix is diagonal (after infinite time in the decoherence theory if I'm not wrong), the out state could then be written in term of field operators acting on the vaccum. So can we say that the field is collapsing ? That seems a reasonable QFT counterpart of the QM postulate no ?
(Note I agree that decoherence brings a much more detailed description than hte idealized situation I consider).

Another particular point I had in head is the relativistic invariance which is a caracteristic of QFT compared to QM.
QM collapse simultaneously cancels the wave function for all eigenstates different than the effectively observed one. What about this in the context of QFT ?
For example, in the simple case of a field with one particle, one detects it at some position in the space.
Does the "collapse" occurs simultaneously ? in which reference frame ? how can it be consistent with change of reference frame ?
Or the "collapse" occurs everywhere outside the light-cone ?
Other ?
What says the decoherence about that ?

1. QFT has nothing new to say about the "mystery" called collapse.
2. The object that collapses in QFT is not the field, but the quantum state, i.e., a vector in the representation space of the field operator.
3. I think it is misleading to think about the collapse as an instantaneous physical event. It is better to think of it as an update of our knowledge about the physical system.

1. What is QFT and how does it relate to collapse?

QFT stands for quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a quantum level. In QFT, collapse refers to the sudden transition of a quantum system from a superposition of states to a single definite state. This is commonly seen in the measurement process of quantum systems.

2. How is collapse described in QFT?

In QFT, collapse is described through the use of the measurement postulate, which states that the act of measurement causes a collapse of the quantum system into a definite state. This is often represented mathematically by the collapse of the wave function into a single eigenstate of the measured property.

3. Is there a mathematical equation or model that describes collapse in QFT?

Yes, there are several mathematical equations and models that describe collapse in QFT. One commonly used model is the von Neumann-Lüders projection postulate, which mathematically describes the collapse of the wave function upon measurement. Other models, such as the continuous spontaneous localization theory, also offer mathematical descriptions of collapse in QFT.

4. Can collapse in QFT be observed or measured?

No, collapse in QFT cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because the act of measurement itself causes the collapse of the quantum system. However, the effects of collapse can be observed through measurements of the properties of the system after the collapse has occurred.

5. Are there any alternative theories to collapse in QFT?

Yes, there are alternative theories to collapse in QFT, such as the many-worlds interpretation and the decoherence theory. These theories offer different explanations for the apparent collapse of the wave function and the resulting measurement outcomes. However, collapse is still a well-supported and widely accepted concept in QFT.