Using the Weierstrass Theorem to Prove the Continuity of a Function

• Thread starter linearfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem is from a previous year's proficiency exam in my Master's program. I am taking this exam later this month.
linearfish
This is a problem from a previous year's proficiency exam in my Master's program. I am taking this exam later this month.

Homework Statement

Let f be a continuous function of the interval [0,1].
(1) If
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)^2 dx = 0[/tex]
prove f(x)=0 for all x in [0,1].

(2) If
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) x^n dx = 0[/tex]
(n=0,1,2...), prove f(x)=0 for all x in [0,1].

Homework Equations

There is a hint for the second part. "Use the Weierstrass Theorem: the space of polynomials is dense in the space of continuous functions."

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have the first part pretty well figured out. Without going into all the gory details, the idea is that we assume there exist a c in [0,1] such that f(c) is not 0. Then by continuity there is an interval around c in which f(x) is positive (bounded away from 0). Thus, since f(x)2 is nonnegative on the whole interval and positive on the interval around c, the integral is positive, but this is a contradiction.

I am at a loss for the second part. It seems to me that it should be a logical step from the first part but I cannot seem to make sense of it. Also, the hint should be a big help but I don't see how. Anything to put me on the right track is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Approximate f(x) by a polynomial p(x) within epsilon. Now integrate f(x)*(f(x)-p(x)). What's the integral of f(x)*p(x)? Can you use that to say something about the integral of f(x)^2?

Let me see if I got this:

Say the integral of f is A. Then
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) (f(x)-p(x)) dx \approx \epsilon * A[/tex]
Since
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)^2 dx = 0[/tex]
Then
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)p(x) dx \approx - \epsilon*A[/tex]

Because epsilon may be made as small as we wish, this implies the last integral is 0. Then can we use the MVT for integrals to show f(x) is the zero function. Or am I looking at this wrong still?

Thanks for the help.

No, not quite. You want to prove that the integral of f(x)^2 is zero, not use it as an assumption. Hint: the integral of f(x)*p(x) is ZERO. Can you tell me why?

I'm a little confused as to why we're proving that. In the first part it's given and it doesn't seem relevant in the second.

linearfish said:
I'm a little confused as to why we're proving that. In the first part it's given and it doesn't seem relevant in the second.

They are two separate problems. You've already shown i) integral f(x)^2=0 implies f=0. Now you want to show ii) integral f(x)*x^n=0 implies f=0. I'm suggesting you use integral f(x)*x^n=0 to show f satisfies the premise of i). Here's another hint why integral f(x)*p(x) must be exactly zero (without assuming integral of f(x)^2 is zero). p(x) is the sum of a bunch of things like a*x^n.

Okay, I think I follow that. Thank you.

[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)p(x) dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)(a_0 + a_1 x + ... + a_n x^n) dx[/tex]
[tex]a_0 \int_0^1 f(x) dx + a_1 \int_0^1 f(x) x dx + ... + a_n \int_0^1 f(x) x^n dx[/tex]

Each of these integrals is 0 by assumption since the a's are constants. Thus,

[tex]\int_0^1 f(x)(f(x) - p(x)) dx = \int_0^1 f(x)^2 - f(x)p(x) dx = \int_0^1 f(x)^2 = 0[/tex]
because f(x) - p(x) is arbitrarily close to 0. Thus by part (i) f(x) = 0 for all x in [0,1].

That's it. You can show integral of f(x)^2 is arbitrarily close to zero. Hence it is zero. Hence f=0.

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Now I can only hope that this problem is on this year's exam.

1. What is Weierstrass Theorem problem?

Weierstrass Theorem problem, also known as the Weierstrass approximation theorem, is a fundamental theorem in mathematical analysis that states that every continuous function on a closed interval can be uniformly approximated by a sequence of polynomials.

2. Who discovered the Weierstrass Theorem problem?

The Weierstrass Theorem problem was discovered by the German mathematician Karl Weierstrass in the mid-19th century.

3. What is the significance of the Weierstrass Theorem problem?

The Weierstrass Theorem problem is significant because it provides a way to approximate any continuous function with polynomials, which are easier to work with. It is also a key tool in real analysis and has many important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. What is the difference between uniform and pointwise convergence in the context of the Weierstrass Theorem problem?

In the context of the Weierstrass Theorem problem, uniform convergence means that the approximation by polynomials is accurate for all points in the interval, while pointwise convergence only requires accuracy at each individual point. Uniform convergence is a stronger condition and ensures that the approximation is close to the original function over the entire interval.

5. Are there any limitations or conditions for the Weierstrass Theorem problem to hold?

Yes, there are some limitations and conditions for the Weierstrass Theorem problem to hold. The interval must be closed and bounded, the function must be continuous on that interval, and the approximation must be uniformly accurate. Additionally, the Weierstrass theorem only guarantees the existence of an approximating sequence of polynomials, but it does not provide a way to explicitly construct the sequence.