XRD FWHM, debye-scherrer's formula & AFM surface morphology

In summary, there is a question about the correlation between grain size calculated from Debye-Scherrer and AFM results for AlN epi layer samples. The AFM results show a decreasing trend in grain size among three samples, while the FWHM of XRD from the samples is increasing. This contradicts the expectations of the Scherrer formula, which predicts an increase in grain size. There is uncertainty about the proper correlation between AFM results and the calculation from the Scherrer formula. The question also arises whether the FWHM should be in gradient or degree in the Scherrer equation.
jcli0002
Hi guys,
I have an question about the correlation between grain size caculated from debye-scherrer and the AFM results for my AlN epi layer samples.

From my AFM results, the trend of grain size of three samples are getting smaller( around 200-10 nm range among three samples). but the FWHM of XRD from the samples are 0.24,0.22,
0.21 degree. according to the scherrer's formula, the grain size should increase and get bigger.
it seems it contradict the AFM results.

I am wondering whether it is proper correlation between AFM results and the calculation from scherrer's formula.

THanks

J.C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
I want to know, in scherre equation, the FWHM should be in gradian or degree?

1. What is XRD FWHM?

XRD FWHM stands for X-ray diffraction full width at half maximum. It is a measure of the width of the peak in a diffraction pattern. It is used to determine the crystalline size and strain of a material.

2. How is debye-scherrer's formula used in XRD analysis?

Debye-scherrer's formula is used to calculate the crystalline size of a material based on the diffraction peak broadening observed in an XRD pattern. It takes into account factors such as the wavelength of the X-rays, the angle of diffraction, and the FWHM of the peak.

3. What does AFM surface morphology refer to?

AFM (atomic force microscopy) surface morphology refers to the topography, or physical features, of a surface at the nanoscale level. AFM uses a sharp probe to scan the surface and measure its height variations, providing information about the surface morphology.

4. How does XRD analysis complement AFM surface morphology studies?

XRD analysis and AFM surface morphology studies are complementary techniques that provide different types of information about a material. XRD can determine the crystalline structure and size, while AFM can provide information about surface features and roughness. Together, they can give a more complete understanding of a material's properties.

5. Can AFM be used to study non-conductive materials?

Yes, AFM can be used to study both conductive and non-conductive materials. Unlike other microscopy techniques, it does not require the sample to be conductive, making it suitable for a wider range of materials. However, the sample surface must be relatively flat and smooth for accurate measurements.