Questions on Ferrofluid: Advantages, Delivery of Meds & Particle Sizes

• Thread starter jnbfive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ferrofluid
In summary: Exactly, and even very strong B fields eg. an NMR have no adverse effects on the body.Couple of other questions.1) This is just to make sure that I answered this question correctly, but in the ferrofluid, there are two ions of Fe 3+ and one ion of Fe 2+ present, correct?2) Having a bit of difficulty understanding this question: scientist are experimenting with ways to do so because maghemite has useful properties as a semiconductor. Even if the magnetite was oxidized into maghemite, it shouldn't matter because maghemite is also magnetic. So if a ferrofluid has nanoscale magnetite, it would still be able
jnbfive
I recently did a lab report on ferrofluid for chemistry and am having difficulty with some questions. I was wondering if I could get some help.

*Are there advantages to an oil-based ferrofluid compared to an aqueous ferrofluid?

*Researchers have explored ways to attach medications to ferrofluid to deliver drugs to specific locations in the body. Explain how this would work. What are some considerations that need to be made in order to undergo these types of treatments?

*If the diameter of the average ferrofluid nanoparticle is 100 nm, how many times larger is an iron filing. Include the assumptions that you use in your answer.

Many thanks to whoever can help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about iron reactivity?

jnbfive said:
I recently did a lab report on ferrofluid for chemistry and am having difficulty with some questions. I was wondering if I could get some help.

*Are there advantages to an oil-based ferrofluid compared to an aqueous ferrofluid?
I would say "yes".

*Researchers have explored ways to attach medications to ferrofluid to deliver drugs to specific locations in the body. Explain how this would work. What are some considerations that need to be made in order to undergo these types of treatments?
How might you localize the delivery of something that is magnetic?

*If the diameter of the average ferrofluid nanoparticle is 100 nm, how many times larger is an iron filing. Include the assumptions that you use in your answer.

What is the first assumption you should make regarding iron filings?

Borek said:
What do you know about iron reactivity?

Are you asking how iron reacts with different ions in general or something different? I'm apologize for not understanding the question, but I'm quite awful when it comes to chemistry.

chemisttree said:
I would say "yes".

How might you localize the delivery of something that is magnetic?

What is the first assumption you should make regarding iron filings?

To localize the delivery, wouldn't you need an actual magnetic piece or magnetic attraction for the ferrofluid to be attracted to? Like something that's magnetic so it attracts the ferrofluid yet dissolvable so it doesn't need to remain in the body?

First assumption about iron filings is that they're visible to the naked eye. Do you mean relate it to what the eye can visibly see vs. what it can't i.e. something that's looks like a tiny crumb vs. something that's 1 E^-7 in size?

jnbfive said:
Are you asking how iron reacts with different ions in general or something different? I'm apologize for not understanding the question, but I'm quite awful when it comes to chemistry.
But you know that iron rusts!

To localize the delivery, wouldn't you need an actual magnetic piece or magnetic attraction for the ferrofluid to be attracted to? Like something that's magnetic so it attracts the ferrofluid yet dissolvable so it doesn't need to remain in the body?
Would it need to be inside the body to attract the ferrofluid?

mgb_phys said:
But you know that iron rusts!Would it need to be inside the body to attract the ferrofluid?

Wow, I feel stupid. Aqueous ferrofluid would result in rust, thereby making the ferrofluid inefficient.

I suppose not. A magnet could be placed in the area of the region outside of the body that the ferrofluid needs to enter, just depends on how strong the attraction would be in order to not damage any vital organs.

Last edited:
jnbfive said:
I suppose not. A magnet could be placed in the area of the region outside of the body that the ferrofluid needs to enter, just depends on how strong the attraction would be in order to not damage any vital organs.
Exactly, and even very strong B fields eg. an NMR have no adverse effects on the body.

Couple of other questions.

1) This is just to make sure that I answered this question correctly, but in the ferrofluid, there are two ions of Fe 3+ and one ion of Fe 2+ present, correct?

2) Having a bit of difficulty understanding this question:

*You prepared aqueous ferrofluid, but the ferrofluid that is often commercially sold is an oil-based ferrofluid. Describe what changes you would need to make in the surfactant for an oil-based ferrofluid.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

The question claims " the surfactant " , is the question asking that the aqueous version be incorporated into an oil solution?

mgb_phys said:
But you know that iron rusts!

Except that magnetite is fairly inert. It is used as a means of preventing steel from corroding. It is supposedly possible to oxidize nanoscale magnetite (Fe3O4), like that used this lab, into maghemite (Fe2O3), but it isn't a natural occurring process in ferrofluids. Scientist are experimenting with ways to do so because maghemite has useful properties as a semiconductor. Even if the magnetite was oxidized into maghemite, it shouldn't matter because maghemite is also paramagnetic.

For a water-in-oil dispersion, the polar head would be aimed where? How about the nonpolar tail? Which direction on the HLB scale would you go to solubilize a polar compound in an oily solvent?

1. What is ferrofluid and how is it used in medicine?

Ferrofluid is a liquid that contains tiny magnetic particles suspended in a carrier fluid. It is used in medicine as a drug delivery system, where the medication is encapsulated in the ferrofluid and then targeted to specific areas of the body using magnets.

2. What are the advantages of using ferrofluid for drug delivery?

There are several advantages to using ferrofluid as a drug delivery system. Firstly, it allows for targeted delivery of medication to specific areas of the body, reducing the risk of side effects. Additionally, ferrofluid can penetrate deeply into tissues and target cells that are typically difficult to reach with traditional drug delivery methods.

3. How is ferrofluid administered for medical purposes?

Ferrofluid can be administered in a variety of ways, depending on the specific medical application. It can be injected directly into the desired area, applied topically, or inhaled. In some cases, it can also be taken orally, although this method is less common.

4. What factors determine the size of the particles in ferrofluid?

The size of the particles in ferrofluid can vary depending on the specific application. Generally, smaller particles are more effective for drug delivery as they can penetrate deeper into tissues. The size of the particles can be controlled through the manufacturing process, and different sizes may be used for different medical purposes.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with using ferrofluid for drug delivery?

Like any medical treatment, there are potential risks and side effects associated with using ferrofluid for drug delivery. These may include allergic reactions, infections, or toxicity if the particles are not properly controlled. However, extensive research and testing are conducted to ensure the safety and effectiveness of ferrofluid for medical use.