ORC for waste heat recovery in cars

• Thread starter RAMAKRISHNA N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using exhaust heat from a car for various purposes such as running a compressor for air conditioning or increasing the thermal efficiency of the engine. The participants also mention methods of measuring the amount of heat rejected through the exhaust and other potential uses for the exhaust heat, such as powering a steam recovery system. However, there are concerns about the feasibility and practicality of these methods.
RAMAKRISHNA N
hi there...to all the enthusiastic people of thermodynamics/thermal engineering. I am working on a project to recover the exhaust heat of a car,for which i require a great amount of guidelines from ur side.firstly,I am not sure as to how much of heat is wasted through the exhaust. Do u think i can use a primitive method which uses a water jacket(small dia pipe encircling atleast half the portion of the exhaust pipe)and find the mass flow rate and temp rise .I am not sure about the accuracy. Could u suggest some other method to measure the amount of heat rejected through exhaust.
Secondly,do u think the exhaust heat is simply sufficient to run a compressor of the cars airconditioning system.

regards

ram

Engineering news on Phys.org
Heat rejected to exhaust is found out by measuring fuel mass flow into the engine, air mass flow into the engine, exhaust temperature and ambient temperature. Just do a simple heat balance.

I doubt the heat you are able to recover would be sufficient to run air conditioning; you need air con just as much while the engine is idling.

Is there any other way in which we can use the exhaust heat other than turbocharging?
I feel the thermal efficiency of the engine can be increased to an greater extent by converting the heat from the exhaust into useful work.

Last edited:
RAMAKRISHNA N said:
Is there any other way in which we can use the exhaust heat other than turbocharging?
I feel the thermal efficiency of the engine can be increased to an greater extent by converting the heat from the exhaust into useful work.

Sure, you could pass water through it and you'd have some warm water which you could clean your windows with. Or you could put a thermopile on it and power the LCD panel for the stereo. Or you could put a turbine in it, and use this to drive a compressor...

About the only thing, and I am sure this has been tried, is to use it to heat the incoming fuel. On our engines it's a good thing, but we don't run gasoline. I can't imagine anything really useful you could do with it.

Likes y2j

1. What is ORC for waste heat recovery in cars?

ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle) is a technology used for waste heat recovery in cars. It works by converting waste heat from the car's engine into usable energy, which can then be used to power various systems in the car.

2. How does ORC work in cars?

ORC works by using a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the exhaust gases of the car's engine to a working fluid, typically a refrigerant or organic fluid. The working fluid is then vaporized and used to drive a turbine, which generates electricity to power the car's systems.

3. What are the benefits of using ORC for waste heat recovery in cars?

The main benefit of using ORC in cars is improved fuel efficiency. By converting waste heat into usable energy, ORC can reduce the amount of fuel needed to power the car's systems, resulting in lower emissions and cost savings for the driver. Additionally, ORC can also help to reduce wear and tear on the car's engine, leading to longer engine life.

4. Is ORC for waste heat recovery only suitable for certain types of cars?

No, ORC can be used in a variety of cars, including both gasoline and diesel engines. However, the effectiveness of ORC may vary depending on the specific design and operation of the car's engine.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using ORC for waste heat recovery in cars?

One potential drawback of ORC is the added cost and complexity of installing the system in a car. This may make it less attractive for some car manufacturers, and could potentially lead to higher maintenance costs for car owners. Additionally, the effectiveness of ORC may also be limited in certain driving conditions, such as short trips where the engine does not reach optimal operating temperature.