Element of Arc Length Problem

In summary: That is s = \displaystyle \int ds = \int \sqrt{ 1 + \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dz}{dx} \right)^2 } dx So, in summary, to find the arclength of a curve in a curvilinear coordinate system, first calculate the line element in terms of the new coordinates, and then integrate with respect to the new "independent" variable.
DarkSamurai

Homework Statement

[tex]x = \frac{u^{2} + v^{2}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]y = uv[/tex]

[tex]z = z[/tex]

Find the arc length given:

[tex]u(t) = cos(t), v(t) = sin(t), z = \frac{2t^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]ds^{2} = dx^{2} + dy^{2} + dz^{2}[/tex]

In curvilinear coordinates thhis becomes

[tex]ds = \sqrt{h^{2}_{1}du^{2}_{1} + h^{2}_{2}du^{2}_{2} + h^{2}_{3}du^{2}_{3}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to get the scale factors, so I took the derivative of each x, y, z component.

I came up with:
[tex]dx = udu - vdv[/tex]
[tex]dy = vdu + udv[/tex]
[tex]dz = dz[/tex]

I then found the scale factors,

[tex]h_{1} = h_{u} = \sqrt{u^{2} + v^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]h_{2} = h_{v} = \sqrt{u^{2} + v^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]h_{3} = h_{z} = 1[/tex]

Then we inject the scale factors into the element arc length formula.

[tex]ds = \sqrt{h^{2}_{1}du^{2}_{1} + h^{2}_{2}du^{2}_{2} + h^{2}_{3}du^{2}_{3}}[/tex]

I'm not sure what to do about du1, du2, and du3. Are they just dx, dy and dz? And if so, would this mean I have to integrate 3 times to get the arc length?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure about what all this stuff about scale factors is, but it seems that your solution is correct ( though I haven't checked everything). In general, the 3 dimensional Euclidean line element is [itex] ds^2 = dx \wedge dx + dy \wedge dy + dz \wedge dz [/itex]. However, since you are considering zero curvature space, the wedges can just be dropped, so that [itex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 [/itex].

Now you've calculated each of dx, dy, and dz in terms of du, dv, dz. To find the line element in the new system, simply plug those expressions directly into the above equation. That is

[tex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 [/tex]
[tex] = (u du - v dv)^2 + (udv + v du) + dz^2 [/tex]
[tex] = (u^2+v^2) du^2 + (u^2 + v^2) dv^2 + dz^2 [/tex]

which is exactly what you have.

Now for finding the arclength, you want to integrate ds, that is [itex] s = \displaystyle \int ds [/itex]. You could indeed integrate three times, though this would be very inefficient. Instead, consider the following.

For simplicity of notation, let the line element be [itex] ds = \sqrt{ dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2} [/itex]. Now let's multiply by one, in the form of [itex] \frac{dx}{dx} [/itex]. That is

[tex] \sqrt{ dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2} \frac{dx}{dx} = \sqrt{ \frac{dx^2}{dx^2} + \frac{dy^2}{dx^2} + \frac{dz^2}{dx^2} } dx [/tex]
[tex] = \displaystyle \sqrt{ 1 + \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dz}{dx} \right)^2 } dx [/tex]

It's easy enough to calculate dy/dx and dz/dx, and now you need only do one integration.

1. What is an element of arc length problem?

An element of arc length problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the length of a curved path, or arc, on a given curve. This can be done by breaking the curve into smaller segments and using mathematical formulas to calculate the length of each segment, then adding them together to find the total length of the arc.

2. How is an element of arc length problem different from a regular length problem?

An element of arc length problem involves finding the length of a curved path, while a regular length problem typically involves finding the length of a straight line. In an element of arc length problem, the curve must be broken into smaller segments and calculated using calculus techniques, while a regular length problem can often be solved using basic geometry.

3. What are some real-world applications of element of arc length problems?

Element of arc length problems have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, an engineer may use these techniques to calculate the length of a curved bridge or the path of a roller coaster, while an architect may use them to determine the length of an arched doorway or the curvature of a dome. In physics, these calculations are used to measure the distance traveled by a particle along a curved path.

4. What mathematical concepts are involved in solving an element of arc length problem?

Solving an element of arc length problem typically involves using concepts from calculus, such as derivatives and integrals. The arc length formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and involves using integrals to find the length of each segment of the curve. Additionally, trigonometric functions may be used to calculate the angles and distances involved in the problem.

5. Are there any special techniques or strategies for solving element of arc length problems?

One common strategy for solving element of arc length problems is to break the curve into smaller segments and use the arc length formula for each segment, then add the results together. Another technique is to use parametric equations to represent the curve and then use derivatives and integrals to find the arc length. It is also important to carefully consider the units and dimensions involved in the problem and use appropriate conversions if needed.