How can the dynamics of falling balls be analyzed using equations of motion?

In summary, the two balls were dropped simultaneously and their respective velocities and displacements were calculated.
twofish

Homework Statement

http://members.shaw.ca/code/balls.JPG"

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what equations to use here, or even wether or not I need to use calc. Unfortunately we just started dynamics and most students don't know how to integrate yet (including me)

v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2 = v dv/dx

Uniform rectilinear motion: x = x0 + vt
Uniformly accelerated rectilinear motion:
v = vo + at ; x = xo + vot + 1/2at2; v2 = v2o +2a(x-xo)
where o in all the above = initial.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this one. hence my question for help.
We know that a = 9.81m/s2 and also that every .5 second there is a ball dropped.
Do i have to integrate anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you have stated already, a is a constant (9.81 m/s^2). With uniform acceleration, there is no need to know how to integrate.

ok. Well I think I have a solution then, but it's not very fancy (I just used techniques from high school physics).
1) I first contemplate ball #1 to find the final velocity and the time it is at 3m.
Vf2=Vi2+2ax
Vf2= 02+2(9.81)(3)
Vf=7.67m/s
Now the time:
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t ; 3m=((7.67+0)/2)t ; t= .78206s

Now I say Ball #2 is dropped .5s after ball #1 and solve for it's final velocity
a=(Vf-Vi)/t ; Vf= 2.767m/s

Now I solve for displacement between ball 1 and 2 according to their respective instantanous(or final) velocities and time being dropped apart from each other.
Where x is displacement.
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t
x= ((7.67+2.767)/2)*0.5
x= 2.6097m

Can someone confirm this is correct methodology and answer?
Thanks,

twofish said:
ok. Well I think I have a solution then, but it's not very fancy (I just used techniques from high school physics).

High school physics is all I use everyday :smile:

1) I first contemplate ball #1 to find the final velocity and the time it is at 3m.
Vf2=Vi2+2ax
Vf2= 02+2(9.81)(3)
Vf=7.67m/s
Now the time:
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t ; 3m=((7.67+0)/2)t ; t= .78206s

This part is correct. (It was probably easier to use the formula for displacement, x = Vi t + 1/2 a t2.)

Now I say Ball #2 is dropped .5s after ball #1 and solve for it's final velocity
a=(Vf-Vi)/t ; Vf= 2.767m/s

Now I solve for displacement between ball 1 and 2 according to their respective instantanous(or final) velocities and time being dropped apart from each other.
Where x is displacement.
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t
x= ((7.67+2.767)/2)*0.5
x= 2.6097m

Can someone confirm this is correct methodology and answer?
Thanks,

I don't quite understand your explanation for this part of your solution, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, the answer is correct! Are you saying that the problem is equivalent to the distance moved by a ball starting with an initial velocity of 2.767m/s in 0.5 sec?

A simpler solution might be to just find what distance ball #2 travels in 0.28206 seconds.

Actually.. i didn't articulate that very well i suppose. But you're right, if I just solved for the distance ball #2 traveled and deducted that figure from 3m it should tell me the spread between them and hence h (or x).

1. What is dynamics in relation to falling balls?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. In the case of falling balls, dynamics would involve analyzing the acceleration, velocity, and forces acting on the ball as it falls.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling ball?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a falling ball is v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity (usually 0 for a falling ball), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2 on Earth), and t is the time the ball has been falling.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy in a falling ball?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or height. As a ball falls, its kinetic energy increases while its potential energy decreases, until it reaches the ground and all of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the speed of a falling ball. The amount of air resistance depends on the size and shape of the ball, as well as the density of the air. In a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, a falling ball would continue to accelerate until it reaches terminal velocity.

5. How does the mass of a falling ball affect its motion?

The mass of a falling ball does not affect its motion, as all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. However, a heavier ball will have a greater force of impact when it hits the ground compared to a lighter ball, due to its greater mass. This is why it is important to consider the weight and size of a ball when using it in activities or experiments involving falling objects.