The Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

In summary, the FE exam is required for civil engineers only, and other engineering fields do not have to take the exam but it is required for obtaining a PE.
Topher925
I'm just curious to know how many of you out there took this exam? I know some universities require you to take this exam (although not pass it) in order to graduate with a BS degree in engineering. I have not taken this exam but would like to in the near future as I plan on eventually getting me PE. However, I do not know of a place or organization that offers this exam near me. For those of you that have taken it, where did you take it? Also, when did you take it and did you find the exam to be rather difficult?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took the FE during my senior year at university. The test was on campus, since it had a large number of engineering students.

For the PE, one should contact the state licensing board, which could be in the state education department. It may be offered only once a year.

One can contact the National Society of Professional Engineers for more or additional information. www.nspe.org

Everyone I know who's taken the exam (it was called the EIT exam back then, for Engineer in Training) took it while still in college and it was offered on campus, and I'm pretty sure required for graduation from engineering school. So, if your school isn't offering it for some reason, you'll probably find the testing site at whatever university is closest to you that has an engineering program.

My boyfriend took the PE exam ages ago now (before he changed careers), but I can't recall where he took it. I think it was also at a university. But, that's way down the road, because IIRC, you need at least 5 years of work experience in engineering, but the way they calculate what counts as experience, you may not qualify to sit for it after just 5 years of employment, because engineers don't just do engineering projects all day in a real job.

Topher925 said:
I'm just curious to know how many of you out there took this exam? I know some universities require you to take this exam (although not pass it) in order to graduate with a BS degree in engineering. I have not taken this exam but would like to in the near future as I plan on eventually getting me PE. However, I do not know of a place or organization that offers this exam near me. For those of you that have taken it, where did you take it? Also, when did you take it and did you find the exam to be rather difficult?

Since you are in Michigan, you'll find some info here:

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-35299_35414_35472-114639--,00.html

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to take the EIT at Cobo. I remember the morning session being a breeze and the afternoon session being a bugger. I am glad that I took the test. I had to to graduate.

Funny thing during my test...I remember going to lunch at my car in the parking garage. I came back up the elevator and found Cobo was filled with thousands of Kids because of a Barney stage show going on there as well. It made things a bit surreal.

The last time I looked into the PE there were test taking facilities in Lansing.

I believe the FE Exam is required for Civil Engineers only... perhaps I am mistaken on that ... and the rest of the Engineering Fields do not have to take the exam .. but the exam is required for all to obtain a PE ... here is the site that should answer all your questions...

http://www.ncees.org/exams/fundamentals/ [Broken]

Danger86514 said:
I believe the FE Exam is required for Civil Engineers only... perhaps I am mistaken on that ... and the rest of the Engineering Fields do not have to take the exam .. but the exam is required for all to obtain a PE ... here is the site that should answer all your questions...

http://www.ncees.org/exams/fundamentals/ [Broken]
Many states require an engineer to be licensed in that state if they will sign off on drawings or specifications. Many utilities require some/many engineers have a license, and that could be Mech Eng, EE, Structural Eng, Civ Eng, Nuc Eng.

Cobo

Cobo as in the building in Detroit where the autoshow is every year? I don't want to go into Detroit unless I absolutely have to. :uhh:

I probably won't take the exam until maybe this summer or perhaps next year. I don't think I will have to much trouble with it but the structural mechanics part already has me worried. I did very well in all my mechanics of materials classes but that was just because I studied the text and the notes, not because I knew the material. :confused:

I'm a computer engineer (or an electrical engineering with computer emphasis). Are we required to take the FE exam because on my university's recommended curriculum for EEs, there is nothing stating the FE Exam as a course while for the Mechs and Civils it's integrated into their curriculum.

hi
Here you can find in detail regarding the fundamentals of engineering exam .I tried it before , it is a really very good site.This helped me a lot and i hope the same with you
http://www.fundamentalsofengineering.com" [Broken]

This site was created for students who are close to finishing an undergraduate engineering degree and wish to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. The site contains study materials like ebooks, downloadable pdfs and loads of questions which you can access once you have signed up.

What is The Fundamentals of Engineering Exam?

The Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, also known as the FE exam, is a standardized test designed to assess a candidate's knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles of engineering. It is typically taken by students or recent graduates who are seeking to become licensed professional engineers.

Who is eligible to take the FE exam?

In most cases, individuals who have graduated or will be graduating within the next six months from an accredited engineering program are eligible to take the FE exam. However, eligibility requirements may vary by state, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board for specific guidelines.

What topics are covered on the FE exam?

The FE exam covers a wide range of topics, including mathematics, engineering sciences, ethics and professional practice, and specialized engineering principles. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the discipline of engineering that the candidate is pursuing (e.g. civil, mechanical, electrical, etc.). It is important for candidates to review the exam specifications and study materials provided by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) to prepare for the exam.

How long is the FE exam?

The FE exam is an 8-hour computer-based test administered by the NCEES. The first 4-hour session consists of 110 multiple-choice questions, while the second 4-hour session consists of 55 multiple-choice questions. There is a scheduled break in between the two sessions. It is important for candidates to pace themselves and manage their time effectively during the exam.

What is the passing score for the FE exam?

The passing score for the FE exam is determined by the NCEES and may vary from year to year. As of 2021, the passing score is 57%. This means that candidates must correctly answer at least 57% of the total questions in order to pass the exam. However, the final score is not based solely on the percentage of correct answers, as the NCEES uses a statistical equating process to determine the final scaled score. It is important for candidates to aim for a high percentage of correct answers to increase their chances of passing the exam.