Careers in Physics: Advice for an Aspiring Physicist

In summary: But yeah, if you don't need math for the material, that's great. There's plenty of other things to do in life besides understand theoretical physics.
derek.basler
Ok, I know there are probably plenty of posts on the site about this sort of thing, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. I'm a junior in high school and i really love physics. I consider myself "advanced" in the subject, for I read book after book about physics, string theory, particle physics, etc, and I also take my school's AP Physics class as well as a nuclear physics online class. I really want to study this in college, and go on further to get a career in the field. However, I'm a bit unsure as to what there is out there for careers. I would really love to teach on the college level, perhaps even the high school level. I plan on going for grad school as well. What would it take to become a teacher or even a professor, and what else is there out there in the field? Is it worth obtaining a career in physics, is there money to be made? Maybe even a job in research would be nice, but then again I have no idea what there is. Thank you very much for any information!

Physics news on Phys.org
derek.basler said:
Ok, I know there are probably plenty of posts on the site about this sort of thing, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. I'm a junior in high school and i really love physics. I consider myself "advanced" in the subject, for I read book after book about physics, string theory, particle physics, etc, and I also take my school's AP Physics class as well as a nuclear physics online class. I really want to study this in college, and go on further to get a career in the field. However, I'm a bit unsure as to what there is out there for careers. I would really love to teach on the college level, perhaps even the high school level. I plan on going for grad school as well. What would it take to become a teacher or even a professor, and what else is there out there in the field? Is it worth obtaining a career in physics, is there money to be made? Maybe even a job in research would be nice, but then again I have no idea what there is. Thank you very much for any information!

I've mentioned this elsewhere and its not that theoretical nor very glamourous but a career in Medical Physics seems to me to be a slam dunk for someone wanting to practice physics, with good pay, and put it to good use within a short period of time as a post doc or even in graduate studies.

You could also look at the Navy Nuclear Program. It would be easy to get a engineering technologist degree almost by the time you get out and with going through the navy nuke program you would be very sought after in the job market.

Just a thought.

seemes we are in the same boat here...what I have to say is that mass media makes researchers look like some kind of super genius,and if you want to be one you have to be really special...like a nobile or something...this is rong! there is a lot of work required,yes,but with your ambition,have no doubt!you can become one...and the pay is awsome...in nanotech I saw an offer(here,on physics forum) of 25 000 pounds...that's like 50 000 euros!
personaly I don't recomand teaching in high-school,unless you really like it...in my country(Romania) the educational system is a mess! no one really learns something,and teachers,besides a very small salary,are the laughing stok of some ****** that are there only for the diploma...I'm shore in your contry things are a lot better,but still,researcing beats everything!I'd rather be a physicist then a president,or a rock star!

so your a junior in high school and you can go through books on string theory, nuclear physics and particle physics which involves massive quantum mechanics understanding and mathematical capability unless your books have no math in them or something?

theallknower said:
...and the pay is awsome...in nanotech I saw an offer(here,on physics forum) of 25 000 pounds...that's like 50 000 euros!

This is a really, really, really bad measure of the financial value a career affords. It's something like saying "my credit card monthly minimum payment is awesomely low!"

cam875 said:
so your a junior in high school and you can go through books on string theory, nuclear physics and particle physics which involves massive quantum mechanics understanding and mathematical capability unless your books have no math in them or something?

well i can get through it without the math. its like understanding how a computer runs but not knowing the parts that make it up. I vaguely understand some of the "simpler" math behind it, and I am reading Road to Reality by Roger Penrose which explains a lot of the math, but most of it i am completely lost. I hope that in college it will become more clear.

i am also facing the same issue although i am more behind. i am a senior in hs and currently breezing through basic physics. it does not interest me at all. But my curosity to understand the quantum world and the things beyond what most people know is my lifetime aspiration. i am trying to get into books with the quantum theories (michio kaku!) also, but college is time consuming and making it difficult for me to control my free time. Even though i love physics, i don't know what job would be waiting for it. With a physics major, I am sure you can do a variety of things such as computer engineering, aero dynamics, teacher, or whatever. But i want to become a real physicist and i want to know what it takes and the career path i should take. also classes, grad school, etc.

take it one step at a time - if you like reading popular physics books, read them; study physics in school - take a class, if you still like it consider it as a major. Even if you eventually do something other than grad school - post grad - 'real physicist researcher...' remember that not one minute of what you studied was wasted because it (1) teaches you how the world works and (2) teaches you how to think for yourself. anyway, if you're still in high school you don't have to plot out the rest of your life. Do what you love doing. If you stop loving it, you can do something else.

thats actually great advice. thank you for that, gmax. And you are exactly right. I love physics and reading about advanced stuff. It teaches me to think logically and creativity and view this world as something more than what i see. Hopefully i can make some money doing that as well, but i guess we will have to see.

Here's some more ideas for a career in Applied Physics.

These occupations would ensure that you get paid a "good" salary
if you decide to work toward one of them.

http://appliedphysics.csuci.edu/career_options.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is positive, with a projected job growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is faster than the average for all occupations and can be attributed to advancements in technology and the need for physicists in various industries.

2. What skills are important for aspiring physicists?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for physicists, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively. Good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills are also important for success in this field.

3. What education is required to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required. Many positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to pursue a strong education in mathematics, physics, and other sciences to prepare for a career in physics.

4. What industries can physicists work in?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, healthcare, aerospace and defense, energy, and education. They may also work in government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Energy.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists?

My advice for aspiring physicists is to focus on developing strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as pursuing a solid education in physics and other related sciences. It is also important to gain research experience and network with professionals in the field to increase job opportunities. Additionally, staying updated on advancements and trends in the field can help prepare for a successful career as a physicist.