Computing Dot Product: (\nabla\times \mathbf{v})\cdot d\mathbf{a}

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a dot product involving a vector field and a differential area. The first person is confused about the result they obtained and questions whether they are doing something wrong. The second person explains that the x term will vanish in the integral and that authors often omit obvious steps in their calculations. Both parties come to an understanding.
Saladsamurai
I cannot seem to figure out how to compute this dot product?!

If [itex](\nabla\times \mathbf{v})=(4z^2-2x)\hat{i}+2z\hat{k}[/itex] and [itex]d\mathbf{a}=dydz\hat{i}[/itex]

Then shouldn't the DOT PODUCT be:

[itex](\nabla\times \mathbf{v})\cdot d\mathbf{a}=(4z^2-2x)\hat{i}*dydz\hat{i}=(4z^2-2x)dydz[/itex] ?

But the book says its just [itex]4z^2dydz[/itex]

What am I doing wrong here??

Here is the original question:

Picture1-20.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait... I think I see what he did. Since the square lies in the z-y plane only, when the integral is carried out, anything with an x in it will vanish anyway. So he just did not bother.

I really hate the way this guy does his math. :mad:

He did bother. He said "Since x=0 for this surface" right before he wrote out the integral.

Look at it this way: If authors had to spell out every step along the way they wouldn't be able to get past introductory algebra, let alone discuss Stokes' theorem. Authors have to omit obvious intermediate steps. Some authors see things as obvious that the novice doesn't. This, IMO, is not one of those cases. If the author had failed to say "Since x=0 ..." you would have had a better case.

Point taken. But mind you, my malcontent is not a result of his omitting obvious steps. He could have just computed the dot product, ran the integrals, and left to to the reader to figure out why all of the x terms dropped out.

Different strokes for different folks. I've just never seen it done this way before :smile:

1. What is the dot product in computing?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

2. What does the symbol ∇ represent in the dot product equation?

The symbol ∇, or "del" operator, represents the gradient of a vector field. In this context, it is used to indicate the operation of taking the cross product of the vector field v with the vector dA.

3. Why is the dot product of the curl of a vector field and a differential area important in computing?

This dot product is important in computing because it allows us to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the flow of a fluid or the electric field through a surface.

4. How is the dot product of the curl of a vector field and a differential area calculated?

The dot product can be calculated by first finding the cross product of the vector field and the differential area, and then taking the dot product of the resulting vector with the vector ∇. Alternatively, the dot product can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the curl of the vector field with the magnitude of the differential area and then taking the cosine of the angle between them.

5. Can you provide an example of computing the dot product of the curl of a vector field and a differential area?

Sure, let's say we have a vector field F = (x^2, y, z) and a differential area dA = (0, 1, 0). First, we calculate the cross product of F and dA: (x^2, y, z) x (0, 1, 0) = (-z, 0, x^2). Then, we take the dot product of this vector with ∇: (-z, 0, x^2) · (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z) = -z(1) + x^2(1) = -z + x^2. So the dot product in this case is -z + x^2.