Google Chrome Review: Hear What Others Think

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Google Chrome as a browser and compared it to other popular browsers such as Firefox and IE. Some users found it to be a lean and stable option, while others preferred the customization and add-ons available in Firefox. Chrome was also praised for its "sand box" concept, where each tab operates independently, preventing the entire browser from crashing. Overall, the consensus was that Chrome is a good alternative to other browsers, but may still have room for improvement.
phyzmatix
Has anyone actually used Google Chrome? I have a limited monthly bandwidth allowance so I'd prefer not to download it purely for test purposes, but would like to know what you guys think of it. Please compare it with whatever other browsers you've used/are using.

Thanks!
phyz

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is a really stripped-down alternative to FF and IE, and it is very stable with PF chat (that kept booting me out with the other browsers). I like it. It seems to have less overhead than competing browsers, which would be a help when running on less-than-optimal systems.

I have used it a little at my friends house but I don't like it as much as Firefox. In Firefox you can customize everything specifically for you and download tons of add-ons. My friend didn't have any add-ons for Chrome but I don't know if that's because you can't download any or if he hasn't taken the time to. Personally I think that Firefox is the best, and safest.

Chrome is a "no frills" browser, very lean, and quicker than FF & IE. I have quit using them.

I like "Chrome."

I liked it, but it had problems running parts of our university's online course software (we use "Blackboard" like a number of universities). Primarily because of this, I still use Firefox.

I personally am a big fan of Chrome. Like stated above, it is quite "lean" compared to the other name browsers such as Firefox and IE, but it does not lack any of the essential features. It also contains incognito mode, but the only use that I see for that is sneaking around on the web without anyone knowing.

Anyway, those are just some my thoughts.

Chrome is really very good. worth trying.

I use the heck out of chrome... it's pretty smooth. It's frozen on me 1 time in 2 months of heavy use.

It seems that the general consensus is that it isn't a bad way to go. I think I'll take it for a test run...but it will have to be TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE to replace Firefox as my main browser :smile:

I like firefox too, phy... i like alexa rankings on my searches so I can tell if it's a well used site. Chrome does not support alexa toolbar yet.

Chrome is still in its infancy. Developers are still trying to make applications for it. The major advantage Chrome have over other browsers is its "sand box" concept. When a tab crashes, it does not crash your entire browser, but only that tab. Each tab is independent of the next, unlike the other browsers. I use both Chrome and Firefox extensively. I do like the ad-ons in FF, and I use foxmarks bookmark a lot. If Chrome got foxmarks, I would probably stop using FF.

"I do like the ad-ons in FF, and I use foxmarks bookmark a lot. If Chrome got foxmarks, I would probably stop using FF."

I agree completely.

I recommend Google Chrome it is quick, easy to use , not complicated and does not strain your system like other browsers. As said tabs are independent if one crashes the browser still displays others without a problem. However it is not much customizable as Opera or Firefox.

1. What features does Google Chrome offer?

Google Chrome offers a variety of features including a simple and user-friendly interface, fast browsing speeds, built-in protection against malware and phishing, customization options, and the ability to sync across multiple devices.

2. Is Google Chrome compatible with all operating systems?

Yes, Google Chrome is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and mobile operating systems such as iOS and Android.

3. Can I use Google Chrome as my default browser?

Yes, you can set Google Chrome as your default browser on both desktop and mobile devices.

4. How does Google Chrome handle privacy and security?

Google Chrome has various security and privacy features such as built-in protection against malware and phishing, incognito browsing mode, and the ability to customize your privacy settings.

5. What are the main pros and cons of using Google Chrome?

Some pros of using Google Chrome include its fast browsing speeds, user-friendly interface, and frequent updates. Some cons include a higher use of system resources and potential privacy concerns.