How Can You Design an Egg Protective Capsule with Cardboard and a Parachute?

• Thread starter gibxam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating a capsule to protect an uncooked egg from being dropped from 12 feet. The capsule should be made of raw materials and no food products can be used, and it must fully cover the egg. The idea is to use a parachute attached to the top and add air resistance and a large surface area for landing. The suggestion of using foam rubber or air-filled balloons is also mentioned.
gibxam
Hello I am going to be trying to make a capsule to protect an uncooked egg from being dropped from approximately 12 feet. There will be a parachute attached to the top when it is dropped. The capsule should be made of raw materiel such as card board or paper and no food products can be used. I am curious what kind of designs people may think will be best at protecting the egg. Note that it should be as light as possible and the egg must be fully covered. This is a rough idea that I had:
physics_capsule.jpg

The idea is that because the bottom is open it as well as the parachute will apply an increase in air resistance to help slow the capsule as well as add a large surface area to land on while also applying the least amount of force to the egg as possible.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on my design as well as one of your own. Thank you

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
Foam rubber might be helpful.

Or, maybe glue 3 small air-filled balloons around the egg. At only 12-feet that should work.

Your idea of creating a protective capsule for the egg drop experiment is very interesting. The use of raw materials like cardboard or paper is a good choice as they are lightweight and can provide some cushioning for the egg. I also like the addition of a parachute to help slow the descent and distribute the force of impact.

One suggestion I have is to add some sort of shock-absorbing material inside the capsule, such as foam or cotton balls, to further protect the egg from impact. You could also consider adding layers of paper or cardboard to increase the thickness and strength of the capsule.

Another design idea could be to create a cone-shaped capsule with a pointed bottom. This way, the capsule will have a smaller surface area and will be more aerodynamic, reducing the impact of air resistance during the drop. The pointed bottom can also serve as a shock absorber upon landing.

Overall, it's important to keep in mind the weight and size limitations for the capsule, as well as ensuring that the egg is fully covered and protected. Good luck with your experiment!

What is a protective capsule?

A protective capsule is a device designed to protect its contents from external factors such as temperature, pressure, humidity, and radiation.

What materials are used to create a protective capsule?

The materials used to create a protective capsule vary depending on the desired level of protection and the contents of the capsule. Common materials include metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites.

How are protective capsules constructed?

Protective capsules are typically constructed using a combination of molding, casting, welding, or additive manufacturing techniques. The specific method used will depend on the materials and design of the capsule.

What factors should be considered when designing a protective capsule?

When designing a protective capsule, factors such as the intended environment, level of protection needed, size and weight constraints, and potential impacts on the contents of the capsule should be taken into account.

What are some applications of protective capsules?

Protective capsules have a wide range of applications, including protecting sensitive electronic components, preserving food and medicine, and safeguarding delicate instruments in space exploration. They can also be used for transportation and storage of hazardous materials.