Where Should I Place Image Charges for a Conducting Wall and Charged Sphere?

The method of image charges involves creating imaginary charges to represent the effects of the conducting wall on the charged sphere. In this case, you need to place two image charges, one at the center of the sphere and one inside the wall with opposite charge, to accurately represent the potential outside the sphere. No need to consider the potential inside the sphere in this case.
the_viewer

Homework Statement

We have a conducting and grounded wall for [tex]z<0[/tex], so [tex]\Phi=0[/tex] for [tex]z<0[/tex]. In front of this wall, we place a homogeneous charged sphere with radius [tex]R[/tex] and total charge [tex]Q[/tex]. The center of the sphere has a distance of [tex]a[/tex] to the front of the wall.

http://david.muelheims.googlepages.com/image_charges.png

I need to find the electrostatic potential [tex]\Phi(\vec{x})[/tex] for [tex]z>0[/tex] with the method of image charges.
I just need the potential outside the sphere. I do not need to determine the potential inside the sphere.

So... Where do I place the image charges?

Homework Equations

All electrostatic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I placed a first image charge in the center of the sphere, because a charged sphere acts like a point-charge in it's center. So I can replace the sphere with a single point-charge.
Then I added a second image charge inside the wall with opposite charge [tex]-Q[/tex]. This second charged is placed exactly symmetrical to the first image charge.
So... if the first charge is placed by [tex]z=a[/tex], I have placed the second at [tex]z=-a[/tex].

Is this a correct/possible solution for this problem? Or do I need some different approaches here, because the wall has an effect on the charge on the sphere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going about this the correct way.

What is the "Method of Image Charges"?

The Method of Image Charges is a mathematical technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving a point charge and a charged conductor. It involves creating a mirrored image of the point charge on the opposite side of the conductor, and then calculating the resulting electric field and potential.

What are the assumptions made in the "Method of Image Charges"?

The method assumes that the conductor is a perfect conductor, meaning that charges can freely move on its surface. It also assumes that the point charge is located outside of the conductor.

How is the electric field calculated using the "Method of Image Charges"?

The electric field is calculated by first finding the electric potential at the point of interest due to the original point charge and its mirrored image. Then, the electric field is found by taking the gradient of the potential with respect to position.

Can the "Method of Image Charges" be used to solve problems with multiple point charges?

Yes, the method can be extended to solve problems with multiple point charges by creating multiple mirrored images for each charge and superimposing the resulting electric fields and potentials.

What are some practical applications of the "Method of Image Charges"?

The method is commonly used in the design and analysis of devices such as capacitors, antennas, and electron microscopy instruments. It is also used in understanding the behavior of lightning strikes and the formation of thunderstorms.