Particle, kinetic energy, decay point

In summary, the particle would have to be produced with an energy of 150MeV in order to be distinguishable from its decay point.
Yroyathon

Homework Statement

The lifetime of a particle is 1.0*10^-16 s in the particle's rest frame. With what energy would one of these particles have to be produced so that its decay point is distinguishable from its production point in a photographic plate? Assume that a 1 mm separation is required for a measurement. The particle mass corresponds to mc^2 = 150 MeV.

Homework Equations

energy of particle with no potential energy
E = gamma * m * c^2
where gamma = 1 / sqrt(1 - (v^2/c^2))

kinetic energy of a particle
K = m * c^2 * (gamma - 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the velocity, v= 1*10^(-3)m / 1 * 10^(-16) s = 1 * 10^13 m/s. but this velocity is greater than c, which is both bad/impossible and prevents me from using other equations I have.

i feel like first I need to resolve this velocity problem before I can continue, since most of my energy equations in the textbook involve velocity, and this problem involving both a time and a distance lead me to believe velocity will be involved.

suggestions? hints?... anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.
,Yroyathon

Physics news on Phys.org
Use uncertainty principle.

well, Hm.

the uncertainty principle is in the next chapter, we haven't gone over it yet. So either there's been some sort of screwup and the prof or anyone hasn't noticed it, or there has to be a way to solve it without the uncertainty principle.

Remember, the lifetime given is that in the particle's rest frame. The lifetime seen in the lab's reference frame will be different.

aha. yes. that's definitely in this chapter, thanks. i'll dig back into the problem now and try to incorporate that info.

ok then. so I tried using the Lorentz transformations we have for t -> t', and x -> x', but I didn't now what to put for the u, the speed of the inertial frame. So I've got u's and gamma's floating around everywhere gumming up the works, keeping me from being able to solve explicitly for t and x', the time in the observation frame and the displacement in the particle's frame. Maybe this isn't the correct approach.

We've got some momentum and energy in special relativity material/equations, but my physic1&2 is pretty rusty, so setting up the problem is difficult. could someone explain at least part of the process or ideas involved?

I'm just flailing at the moment because I don't really know which approach to use now.

1. What is a particle?

A particle refers to a small, individual unit of matter that cannot be divided into smaller parts. Examples of particles include atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles like electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The amount of kinetic energy an object has is dependent on its mass and velocity. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How is kinetic energy related to particles?

Kinetic energy is related to particles because particles are in constant motion and therefore have kinetic energy. The amount of kinetic energy a particle has is determined by its mass and velocity, as described by the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.

4. What is a decay point?

A decay point, also known as a decay event, refers to the moment when an unstable particle or nucleus transforms into a more stable form by releasing energy in the form of radiation. This process is known as radioactive decay and is commonly observed in radioactive substances.

5. Why is understanding particle, kinetic energy, and decay point important in science?

Understanding particle, kinetic energy, and decay point is important in science because it helps us better understand the behavior and properties of matter at the smallest scales. These concepts are crucial in fields such as nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and materials science. Additionally, understanding decay points can also help us predict and mitigate potential hazards associated with radioactive materials.