Solve Gaussian Integral: Even/Odd Cases

In summary, the problem is to solve the integral of x^n e^{-\lambda x^2} from 0 to infinity. The solution involves evaluating the integral for n = 0, and then considering the cases when n is even and odd. The even case can be related to the p-th derivative of Io, which can be evaluated using the given equations. The final solution may be a piecewise answer.
csnsc14320
EDIT: meant to post this is the math forums, if you can remove this I'm going to switch it over

Homework Statement

Solve:

In = [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} x^n e^{-\lambda x^2} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my teacher gave a few hints regarding this. She first said to evaluate when n = 0, then consider the cases when n = even and n = odd, comparing the even cases to the p-th derivative of Io.

For the Io case, I evaluated it and obtained [tex] I_o = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\lambda}} [/tex]

Now, for the "p-th" derivative of Io, i got

[tex] \frac{d^p}{d \lambda^2} I_o = \frac{\prod_{p=1}^p (1 - 2p)}{2^{p+1}} \sqrt{\pi} \lambda^{-\frac{(2p + 1)}{2}} [/tex]

I don't see how this related to n = 2p (even case) where

I2p = [tex] \int_0^\infty x^{2p} e^{- \lambda x^2} dx [/tex]

And even when I do figure this out, does this all combine into one answer, or is it kind of like a piecewise answer?

Any help with what to do with the even/odd cases would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I will give some hints here, and probably I will rearrange this quick reply in 24 hours.

\int_0^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

\int_0^\infty x e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2a}

\int_0^\infty x^n e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{(n-1)!}{2(2a)^{n/2}} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

\int_0^\infty x^{2n+1} e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{n!}{2 a^{n+1}}

\int_0^\infty x^{2n} e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{2n+1} a^n} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

1. What is a Gaussian Integral?

A Gaussian Integral is a type of definite integral that involves the Gaussian function, also known as the normal distribution. It is used to find the area under a Gaussian curve, which is a bell-shaped curve that represents the probability distribution of a continuous random variable.

2. What is the general formula for solving a Gaussian Integral?

The general formula for solving a Gaussian Integral is ∫e^(-x^2)dx. This formula can be modified to solve for specific cases, such as the even and odd cases, by adjusting the limits of integration and making use of properties of even and odd functions.

3. What is the difference between the even and odd cases of a Gaussian Integral?

In the even case, the limits of integration are symmetric around the origin (i.e. from -a to a), and the integrand function is an even function (i.e. f(-x) = f(x)). In the odd case, the limits of integration are also symmetric around the origin, but the integrand function is an odd function (i.e. f(-x) = -f(x)).

4. How do you solve the even case of a Gaussian Integral?

To solve the even case, you can use the property that the integral of an even function from -a to a is equal to twice the integral from 0 to a. This simplifies the integral to ∫e^(-x^2)dx = 2∫0^a e^(-x^2)dx. Then, you can use techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral.

5. How do you solve the odd case of a Gaussian Integral?

In the odd case, you can use the property that the integral of an odd function from -a to a is equal to 0. This simplifies the integral to ∫e^(-x^2)dx = 0. However, this does not mean that the integral is always equal to 0. You can use the symmetry of the integrand function and other techniques, such as integration by parts, to solve the integral and determine its value.