Oil for Dry Skin: Benefits & Uses of Baby Oil

• Medical
  • Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Skin
In summary, baby oil is typically used to help reduce dry skin, but it is important to read the product label to make sure that the oil you are using is appropriate for your skin.
jobyts
Does putting oil on the skin helps to reduce the dry skin? Or, it just looks better because under oil, the dry skin is temporarily invisible? What is baby oil for?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi there,

I am not an expert on baby oil, or any type of oil as a matter of fact, but the type of oil you will put on your skin (dry or not) will defenitely depends on the absorption coefficient. I discourage you to put motor oil, thinking that it will help your dry skin.

A bit more info could be useful. Your skin is not a static material like plastic. On the macroscopic scale, your skin looks like a tissu with multiple holes (poors). When you apply stuff on it (hopefully good stuff, like good skin oil or cream), it will get absorbed through the holes in your skin, therefore with a favorable effect of regenerating your skin tissue.

Therefore, when oil is applied, it definitely sinks into your skins.

I moved this from S&D but wasn't sure about the best place for it.

I believe its better to apply oils from the inside. Add some fish oil or flaxseed oil to your diet, and dry skin will all but vanish.

rubbing olive oil on your skin can help.

Applying oil to the top of the skin is only going to paste the loose skin cells down and make it look less flaky until the oil comes off.

Oil or moisturizers aren't going to repair skin that's already damaged or dry. What it *might* do, though, is to help add a layer of protection to that already damaged skin to prevent further loss of moisture.

I have a very dry skin especially my hands, though I can’t handle the oil on it feels :yuck:, but I like to clean them and put vaseline on, it first looks oily but it absorb it within a min or two and feels great

Moonbear said:
Oil or moisturizers aren't going to repair skin that's already damaged or dry. What it *might* do, though, is to help add a layer of protection to that already damaged skin to prevent further loss of moisture.

does that mean I have to live with my dry skin:cry::cry::cry:

i suggest either this: http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=628

or this: http://www.medshopexpress.com/049900.htmlthe first you can probably find at a local barber supply, and the second at an apothecary type drug store.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers man but I don’t like the fact that I have to keep drugs and medicine around, is there a cure like once and for all kidna thing, other than that I’m ok with water & vaseline

like hell I am :grumpy:

I know, I just had this [psoriasis] when I was 12 and it lasts for 2 years, I used every kind of medicine and I get sick of them and decided not to put any on my hands, I just keep them wet and thank god it has gone, since then I don’t like to use lotions and alike, it would be great if there is a treatment to get rid of skin dryness

wtf? drugs? one is sheep fat and mineral oil. the other is sheep fat and water. it's not going to be nearly as greasy as vaseline. if the fougera doesn't do it for you, i doubt you will like much of anything.

what gets on your nerves:confused:, I look for permanent healing [if there is] to dryness and I didn’t say that what you linked was greasy or bad

by the way cheers=thanks

drizzle said:
I know, I just had this [psoriasis] when I was 12 and it lasts for 2 years, I used every kind of medicine and I get sick of them and decided not to put any on my hands, I just keep them wet and thank god it has gone, since then I don’t like to use lotions and alike, it would be great if there is a treatment to get rid of skin dryness
Go to a dermatologist, if it is a skin condition like psoriasis or eczema, a topical cortisone cream can help alleviate the symptoms, but should not be used without a doctor's advice.

Proton, a lot of people are allergic to lanolin, and it's just another emollient.

Last edited:
that’s what happened I’ve been to one, and he described a cortisone cream and a special soup but it was like a moment cure and once it dried I have to apply it again, it was only calming the pain I mean the itchiness, my hands were bleeding sometimes and I can’t stretch my fingers I just keep them bended, can’t believe it last for 2ys:bugeye:, but as I said I’m cured now [thanks to water], maybe that is why I hated to go and bye any cream to my hands anymore like I don’t trust them, right now my hands get dried once I do the cleaning or carry things etc, I just keep washing them a lot, sometimes I think I should’ve been an amphibian creature :biggrin:

Evo said:
Proton, a lot of people are allergic to lanolin, and it's just another emollient.

seems that everything is allergic to someone. and i don't see what's so bad about "emollients', they seem rather necessary as most of us secrete more than we need.

hypatia said:
dry skin will all but vanish.
Meaning your skin will do everything but what you want it to do? :tongue2:

1. What is baby oil?

Baby oil is a mineral oil-based product that is commonly used for moisturizing and protecting delicate baby skin. It is also used as a cosmetic product for adults, particularly as a moisturizer for dry skin.

2. Is baby oil safe for dry skin?

Yes, baby oil can be safe for dry skin as it helps to moisturize and hydrate the skin. However, it may not be suitable for all skin types and may cause irritation or clog pores for some individuals. It is always best to patch test on a small area before using it on larger areas of the body.

3. How does baby oil benefit dry skin?

Baby oil helps to lock in moisture and create a barrier on the skin, preventing water loss and keeping the skin hydrated. It also helps to soften and smooth rough, dry patches of skin, making it feel smoother and more supple.

4. Can baby oil be used on the face?

While baby oil is safe for most skin types, it may not be suitable for use on the face as it can clog pores and lead to breakouts. It is best to stick to using baby oil on the body and choose a non-comedogenic moisturizer specifically designed for facial use.

5. Are there any other uses for baby oil besides moisturizing dry skin?

Yes, baby oil has many other uses, such as removing makeup, shaving, and preventing chafing. It can also be used as a massage oil or added to bathwater for a moisturizing soak. However, it is important to note that baby oil should not be ingested or used as a lubricant.