Statistics Question - Normal Distribution

In summary, the question deals with the normal distribution and finding the probability of a certain range of values. The mean and standard deviation are given and the student is having trouble with part c. After trying different methods, they finally solve the question and find it to be quite easy.
Chewy0087
Statistics Question - Normal Distribution SOLVED

Homework Statement

Hey, the question is shown in the attached document.

Homework Equations

Mean = 79 Standard Deviation = 12

The Attempt at a Solution

I dispise these questions, and I'm failing to grasp them at all.

I've done the first two parts fine, but it's part c I'm struggling on.

I've tried using the z function getting me to;

P (Z [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{b}{12}[/tex] ) - P ( Z [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{-a}{12}[/tex] ) = 0.375

But I've got no idea what I'm doing :/ this question has totally thrown me, all of the methods I've used replacing the 2nd equation into the first have given me useless answers, I can usually do these questions fine, but I'm struggling here, any help would be great!

Attachments

• stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, got it, ridiculously easy AGAIN

Hello,

I understand that you are struggling with part c of this question. It seems like you have attempted to use the z-function to solve it, but are unsure of what to do next. Let me guide you through the process.

First, let's review what we know about normal distributions. A normal distribution is a bell-shaped curve that represents a set of data that is evenly distributed around its mean. The mean, in this case, is 79 and the standard deviation is 12. This means that the majority of the data falls within 12 points above or below the mean.

Now, in order to solve part c, we need to find the values of a and b. These values represent the boundaries of the area under the curve that we are looking for. The question states that we need to find the probability of a score falling between 70 and 88. This means that a represents the distance between 79 (the mean) and 70, and b represents the distance between 79 and 88.

To find these values, we can use the formula z = (x - μ) / σ, where x is the score we are looking for, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation. Plugging in the values given in the question, we get:

a = (70 - 79) / 12 = -0.75
b = (88 - 79) / 12 = 0.75

Now, we can use the z-function to find the probability of a score falling between these boundaries. Using the standard normal distribution table, we can find that P (Z ≤ -0.75) = 0.2266 and P (Z ≤ 0.75) = 0.7734. To find the probability of a score falling between these boundaries, we subtract the two values: 0.7734 - 0.2266 = 0.5468.

Therefore, the probability of a score falling between 70 and 88 is 0.5468, or 54.68%.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process better. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep practicing and don't get discouraged. Good luck!

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is commonly found in nature and in many statistical analyses. It is also known as a bell curve because when graphed, it forms a symmetrical bell-shaped curve. In a normal distribution, the majority of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, and the mean, median, and mode are all equal.

2. How is a normal distribution different from other types of distributions?

A normal distribution differs from other types of distributions, such as a skewed distribution or a bimodal distribution, in that it is symmetrical and the majority of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean. Other distributions may have a different shape or have more extreme values in the tails.

3. What is the significance of the mean and standard deviation in a normal distribution?

The mean and standard deviation are important measures in a normal distribution because they describe the central tendency and spread of the data. The mean represents the average value of the data, while the standard deviation represents how much the data deviates from the mean. In a normal distribution, the mean and standard deviation can be used to calculate the probability of a certain value occurring.

4. How is the normal distribution used in statistics?

The normal distribution is used in statistics to model and analyze data that follows a bell curve pattern. It is used to make predictions and calculate probabilities, as well as to perform hypothesis testing and make inferences about a population based on a sample. It is also used as a basis for many statistical tests and models.

5. Can any set of data be considered a normal distribution?

No, not all data sets can be considered a normal distribution. In order for a distribution to be considered normal, it must meet certain criteria such as being symmetrical and having a mean, median, and mode that are equal. Additionally, the data should follow the 68-95-99.7 rule, where approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.