Japanese detained in Italy carrying $134 billion

• News
  • Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, there are $134 billion in physical bonds that have been found, potentially belonging to Japan, and could be part of a fraud scheme. There are questions about who has access to that much money and why it was being stored in Italy. Some speculate that Japan may be trying to dump US securities or conduct an anonymous bank transaction, while others believe it may be a case of counterfeiting or espionage. The US Treasury remains tight-lipped about the situation and details are still scarce, leading to speculation and theories.
gravenewworld
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090612a2.html

If the bonds are indeed verified to be real, the 2 could be fined up to 40% of what they were carrying. Man, looks like Italy might get a $60 billion dollar aid package from the US treasury.
Who has that kind of access to that much money? Are they spies? Arms dealers to the world? Yakuza?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Holy MOLEY!

Gotta be fake. Who issues $134B in physical bonds these days?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Gotta be fake. Who issues $134B in physical bonds these days?

If they're fake then this has to be the biggest counterfeiting scheme in history. If they're real, which country is trying to get rid of them? Is Japan losing their faith in the US economy and secretly trying to dump US securities onto the market? That would be bad news for the US economy if the countries who hold our debt start dumping our securities. If they're fake, is a country trying to destabilize the US economy by dumping vast amounts of fake money into the world market? Germany did it to Britain and tried to do it to the US during WWII.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Is Japan losing their faith in the US economy and secretly trying to dump US securities onto the market?

And why would Japan be storing these bonds in Italy? As opposed to...I dunno...maybe Japan?

Some of those $500M bearer bonds may be mine. I think I misplaced a couple the other day making the bed.

I suppose it's best not to ask how your bearer bonds wound up in your bed. :eek:

Vanadium 50 said:
And why would Japan be storing these bonds in Italy? As opposed to...I dunno...maybe Japan?

Because they were on their way to Switzerland to conduct an anonymous bank transaction? More info from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=afJXAA1ahZyo
Could be the biggest attempt of fraud in history.

gravenewworld said:
Because they were on their way to Switzerland to conduct an anonymous bank transaction? More info from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=afJXAA1ahZyo
Could be the biggest attempt of fraud in history.

If the Japanese government was really going to physically transport 130 billion dollars in bonds to Switzerland, don't you think they'd use a direct flight? Instead of, well... losing 40% of it? I don't see how any government would expect to dump all their bonds on the market and not have someone notice; I mean seriously, there are only three creditors in the world with that much US debt

Office_Shredder said:
If the Japanese government was really going to physically transport 130 billion dollars in bonds to Switzerland, don't you think they'd use a direct flight? Instead of, well... losing 40% of it? I don't see how any government would expect to dump all their bonds on the market and not have someone notice; I mean seriously, there are only three creditors in the world with that much US debt

Who knows what is going on? Why didn't they just do a computer transaction? Maybe they were worried about someone noticing that amount of money moving? Interestingly the G8 summit is going on very soon in Italy. The story gets weirder and weirder.

gravenewworld said:
Who knows what is going on? Why didn't they just do a computer transaction? Maybe they were worried about someone noticing that amount of money moving? Interestingly the G8 summit is going on very soon in Italy. The story gets weirder and weirder.

But... how could you not notice that much money moving? Who are they going to give 130 billion dollars to, and in return for what, in such a manner that nobody notices? Unless the government just decided to spontaneously fund every criminal organization in existence it would be impossible to get any bang for your buck while keeping a transaction like that hidden.

I think we can be quite sure that if a government for some reason wants to physically move high-value bonds they would simply use a diplomatic courier (no customs) and a direct flight.

Also, if you follow the link to Bloomberg above you will see that there is indeed something strange with the bonds; e.g. some of the notes are suppose to be $1 billion bonds from 1934, but bonds of that denomination did not exist back then.

So I think we can be pretty sure that these were forgeries; probably "props" for for some kind of fraud.

f95toli said:
So I think we can be pretty sure that these were forgeries; probably "props" for for some kind of fraud.

You'd think that before making change for one of those, you'd want to check to be sure it was real. I know I sure would.

f95toli said:
Also, if you follow the link to Bloomberg above you will see that there is indeed something strange with the bonds; e.g. some of the notes are suppose to be $1 billion bonds from 1934, but bonds of that denomination did not exist back then.

Looks like someone didn't do their homework.

Details are still scarce. The story is real, however, the US Treasury still remains tight lipped. If they're so fake, why is it taking so long to dismiss them? Maybe they are really good counterfeits? Is N. Korea playing dirty?

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22605120/counterfeit-bonds.htmSounds like a good spy movie to me.

gravenewworld said:
however, the US Treasury still remains tight lipped.

Why is it the US Treasury's job to provide fodder for the media?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is it the US Treasury's job to provide fodder for the media?

The story is already broken. The public already knows. Even if the US Treasury never says anything directly to the public, the media will eventually find out. What's your point?

1. What is the story behind Japanese detained in Italy carrying $134 billion?

A Japanese man was recently detained in Italy after attempting to enter the country with $134 billion in US bonds. He claimed to be a member of the Japanese Ministry of Finance, but the Italian authorities have not been able to verify his identity or the authenticity of the bonds.

2. Why was the Japanese man carrying such a large sum of money?

The exact reason for why the man was carrying $134 billion in US bonds is still unclear. Some speculate that it could be part of a larger financial scam, while others believe it could be an attempt to launder money or fund illegal activities.

3. What is the significance of the US bonds in this case?

US bonds are considered a safe investment option and are backed by the US government. However, the large amount and the fact that they were found in the possession of a Japanese man in Italy has raised suspicions. It is also illegal to transport such a large amount of bonds without proper documentation.

4. What are the potential consequences for the Japanese man?

The Japanese man could face charges for attempting to enter a foreign country with a large amount of undeclared assets. He could also face charges related to money laundering or fraud if it is found that the bonds are part of a larger illegal scheme.

5. Has there been any update on the case?

As of now, there have been no significant updates on the case. The Japanese man is still in detention in Italy and authorities are continuing their investigation to determine the authenticity and purpose of the US bonds. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available.